Pre-Sessional Visa Requirements

The following information applies to all Pre-Sessional students who require a Tier 4 (General) visa to study in the UK.

When you have accepted our offer and paid your Pre-Sessional course fees in full, you will be able to request a CAS for your Tier 4 (General) visa application. You can find out details on how to do this by visiting the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) page of our website, or if you would like to check anything please email our International Student Adviser on

Once you have been issued with a CAS, you will be able to apply for your visa in your home country (where you are currently living).

Remember to read the Tier 4 (General) visa section of our website and make sure you know what documents you need to prepare for your Tier 4 visa application, in advance. If you are not prepared there will be a delay in your visa application or your application may be refused, which could result in you being unable to study with us.

How many visas will I need?

In most cases, if you have paid the deposit for your main course as well as the Pre-Sessional course fee in full, we can issue you with one CAS. This will allow you to apply for one visa for both your Pre-Sessional course and your main course.

If you have an unconditional offer for your main course (because you have met both the academic and English language requirement), you only need to apply for one visa. This is also the case if you meet the academic requirement and the minimum requirement for the Pre-Sessional course, and the only condition for you to join your main course is that you improve your English skills.

Those who have yet to meet the academic requirement for the main course will get a CAS to cover the visa for the Pre-Sessional course only; you will need to re-apply for a second CAS and Tier 4 (General) visa if you pass the Pre-Sessional course and you meet the requirements for the course your offer was based on.


If you need two visas, you will be issued with a new CAS on completion of the 5 week Academic English with Study Skills course; you will then be able to apply to ‘Extend your Leave’ in the UK.

You will be able to begin studying your main course at AUB before you receive your second visa, provided you have submitted your application. You will not be able to enrol onto your main course or attend our Orientation Programme until you have submitted your visa application. The International Student Adviser will be able to assist you with your application for your second visa.

If you would like any further information about visas for the Pre-Sessional courses, or ‘Extending your Leave’ in the UK for your main course, please contact our International Student Adviser by emailing