Skip to main content Go to Site Map


Updated: 19 May 2022

While the UK Government has confirmed the removal of COVID-19 restrictions in England, COVID-19 continues to be a risk to members of our AUB community.

We'd therefore like to issue further clarification of measures put in place to minimise the spread of COVID-19 at AUB.

COVID-19 measures in place at AUB:

  • Face coverings are encouraged in indoor areas (unless medically exempt).
  • Good hygiene practice is encouraged on campus, with good ventilation throughout.
  • We encourage natural ventilation on campus in indoor spaces by keeping workspace windows and doors open, however, fire exits must remain closed.
  • To minimise risk to our community, we recommend that staff and students work from home in the event of experiencing COVID-19 symptoms or when testing positive for COVID-19.

For support and guidance from our Student Services Team, you can report positive results to AUB's Student Services Team via email at

While the Government will no longer be supplying AUB with COVID-19 testing kits, you can still order these via post, local pharmacies and collection points.

Points of Contact

COVID Contact

COVID-19 email inbox, managed by our Student Services team, is for students to share COVID related concerns or enquiries

Academic Year 20 21 icons schools

Schools and Course Teams

For study-related updates, information and advice, contact your Course Teams via myAUB or email your Course Leader directly.

Academic Year 20 21 icons studentservices

Student Services

Any questions about accommodation, funding, access to student support services or life at AUB

Academic Year 20 21 icons studentrecords

Student Records

Help with online enrolment, including documentation needed, student finance and loans and assessment, retakes and resits

Academic Year 20 21 icons admissions

Admissions Office

Guidance on application processes, entry requirements, clearing, fee assessment and status, welcome guides and arrivals and more

Academic Year 20 21 icons income

Finance Team

Questions regarding payments or refunds, get in touch with our Finance team.

Academic Year 20 21 icons international

International Office

For information about Visas, English Language Support and Arrivals/Orientation for International students

Academic Year 20 21 icons servicedesk

Service Desk

For any queries, concerns or issues setting up AUB student accounts, such as logins and emails and including the myAUB app

Academic Year 20 21 icons AUBSU


Information about Freshers’ Week, events and activities

Academic Year 20 21 icons travel


Key information on travel to the AUB campus and within the local area

Frequently Asked Questions

Who leads AUB's COVID-19 response?

The university's COVID-19 response is led by Vice Chancellor Professor Paul Gough, in consultation with all departments across the university, including our Campus Services, Finance, Admissions, Marketing, International and Registry teams.

AUB's approach is fully compliant and developed in line with Government guidance, and we maintain consistent and regular communications with other local organisations including neighbouring universities, Public Health Dorset and the National Institute for Health Protection. We continue to work with Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole Council (BCP) to develop our operational plans as well as how we can protect the community in which we are based.

Students will be kept informed and updated via Student Information Update correspondence, as well as through Course Leaders, Technicians and administrative staff and updates through the university's online learning environment and intranet.

Further queries can be put to any of our departmental teams using the channels at the bottom of this page.

I think I might have COVID-19 symptoms, what should I do?

COVID-19 symptoms are described as:

  • a high temperature
  • a new, continuous cough
  • a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste

If you, or a member of your household has any of these symptoms, you must notify the university via our COVID-19 reporting address at, and you should take an NHS COVID-19 test as soon as possible.

Our Student Services team is available by email at or by phone on 01202 363780.

More information is available at

What measures are in place to ensure the campus is safe?

We’ve continually been following UK Government guidance to make our campus as safe as possible. As well as conducting a comprehensive risk assessment, we have plans in place to respond to COVID-19 incidents and local outbreaks.

We’ve reviewed our campus cleaning regime in order to ensure that areas are frequently cleaned to a high standard.

Staff, students and visitors are encouraged to wear face coverings in all indoor areas on campus, unless medically exempt.

Will teaching be on campus or online?

We'll still be using a blended approach to teaching, but a majority of our teaching is in-person and on-campus.

What is AUB doing to support student wellbeing, both during term time and holidays?

AUB has significantly invested in its wellbeing provision, with the highest proportion of trained university Mental Health First Aiders in the country and has allocated additional resources to support student wellbeing in response to the pandemic.

Additional funding has enhanced our counselling and advice services, with a specialist team continuing to support students with a wide range of issues.

Counselling and wellbeing services are available Monday-Friday throughout the year, with the exception of bank holidays and university closure days. The teams can refer to a wide range of community services for additional support.

I have received a non-MHRA jab overseas, do I need a top-up in the UK and why?

All authorised vaccines are available free of charge across the UK, regardless of nationality, residency or immigration status. These are available from thousands of vaccine centres, GP practices and pharmacies.

If you have had a non-UK vaccination (not recognised by the UK authorities), you should contact a GP or a clinician at a vaccination centre to discuss whether further vaccination is appropriate.

Clinicians will only advise additional vaccination where this is safe.

If a person has received a first dose of COVID-19 vaccine overseas that is also available in the UK
, they should receive the same vaccine for their second dose, provided they meet UK eligibility criteria.

If a person has received a vaccine that is not available in the UK, the most similar alternative should be offered.

How does UK COVID-19 travel certification differ for people that have had jabs overseas?

For travel certification purposes, the NHS Covid Pass will only show two vaccine doses - the first and last vaccine dose you have received. Mixed doses (including those given in the UK) currently do not qualify for relaxed health measures at the UK border.

Currently only people fully vaccinated under the UK government vaccination programme can be certified using the NHS Covid Pass. The NHS COVID Pass is available to those who are resident in England with an NHS number. GP registration is required to access the Covid Pass via the NHS App.

An individual is fully vaccinated 14 days after completing a full course of an MHRA-authorised vaccine, whether that requires two doses or one dose (according to the MHRA authorised schedule). The day you have your final dose does not count as one of the 14 days.

If I have had my vaccination overseas do I have to self-isolate if I am a close contact of someone who has tested COVID positive?

Currently only those vaccinated in the UK are exempt from self-isolation if in close contact with someone who has tested COVID positive.

Why do some events, venues and organisations require proof of COVID-19 vaccination status?

Voluntary certification is currently in operation in England to help limit the risk of transmission in their venues and events as the country reopens.

This is a choice for organisations and is at their discretion. Individuals may be required to demonstrate proof of their Covid-19 status upon arrival to these venues. It is down to businesses which forms of proof they accept.

Essential services, like public transport and supermarkets, will not require certification for entry.

If I have had my vaccination overseas do I need to quarantine on arrival?

A student will be considered fully vaccinated if they can demonstrate that they have completed a full course of vaccination at least 14 days prior to arrival, under or with one of the following:

  • an approved vaccination program in the UK, Europe, US or UK vaccine programme overseas
  • a full course of the Oxford/AstraZeneca, Pfizer BioNTech, Moderna or Janssen vaccines from a relevant public health body in a number of countries.
  • a formally approved COVID-19 vaccine clinical trial in the US, Canada and Australia and have proof of participation (digital or paper-based) from a public health body.

If you are not fully vaccinated under these conditions, you should:

  • quarantine on arrival at home or in the place you’re staying
  • take a day 2 test after you arrive in England – on or before day 2
  • take a day 8 test after you arrive in England – on or after day 8

The day you arrive is day 0. If your day 2 test is positive for COVID-19, you do not have to take the day 8 test.

I'm an international student, what about my immigration/visa status?

If you believe the status of your visa application and travel arrangements will be disrupted by COVID-19, please contact our International Office who will be able to assist you.

For more information about visa requirements, please read the information on our visa and immigration page. If you have any visa questions, please email our Student Experience Officer.

What's available to me if I need to isolate while at a term time address?

For students who will be required to quarantine on arrival in the UK, and for those who must self-isolate at any point throughout the year, there will be limited supplies of essential items in our university halls accommodation.

Students living in private accommodation within the local community will be able to receive the same supply of essential living items if required via our Student Services.

All students in halls who are in quarantine or self-isolating will have the option to order groceries online for delivery. For those who may not yet have an appropriate bank account set up, you can purchase supermarket 'gift cards' from AUB .

These cards are prepaid by AUB and can be used for online shopping. The cost will be deducted from your halls deposit.

If you have any questions, please contact our Student Advice team on or email our Student Experience Officer.

What happens if my travel plans are affected by Covid-19 measures?

If you are unable to travel to the UK in time for the start of term, or may be delayed in doing so as a result of Covid-19, please contact your Course Team who will be able to advise you on how you can continue your studies remotely.

If you have any questions please contact our Student Services team on Our International Team are also on hand to assist.

If you have any visa questions, please email our Student Experience Officer.

Where can I find more information and who can I contact?

We have an experienced International team who are on hand to advise and support you during your time at AUB. If you have any questions or need more information, please do contact our Student Experience Officer, available through the contact details below, who will be happy to help you.

International Office
+44 (0) 01202 363233

Student Experience Officer
+44 (0) 1202 363713