Gain an insight into the world of animation and production design by exploring hand-drawn techniques, cut out and stop motion.
21st July-7th August 2020
Course Fees: £2,295
Including residential programme: £3,495
For students aged 15+
Experiment with a variety of animation techniques including hand-drawn, cut-out and stop motion in this fast-paced and varied course. You’ll begin to develop your observational and design skills while learning about storyboards, cinematic story and idea pitching.
You will learn the fundamentals of this complex subject including how to animate simple objects, story development and character design. You will have the opportunity to develop your own ideas as well as working in groups to give you a greater understanding of how an animation team works together. In your group, under the guidance of our experienced tutors, you will develop a short film brief including storyboarding and scriptwriting. During the final week, you will produce a short film of your ideas and work through a variety of post-production techniques to get your animated film ready for screening.
- 12 Principles of animation
- Narrative and storyboarding
- Drawing techniques and development
- Scriptwriting and storyboarding
- Cut out techniques
- Stop Motion puppets
- Traditional 2D animation
- Layout and background
- Creative post-production editing
- Film screening and critique
The course aims to:
- Develop your drawing, observational skills and aesthetic awareness in relation to animation design and production.
- Enhance your animation skills through practical exercises, exploring contemporary techniques and traditional processes.
- Provide teaching guidance and resources to enable students to devise and create their own short animated film as a team.
- Develop your knowledge and understanding of professional animation practice with access to industry-standard equipment.
- Provide opportunities for self-evaluation and critique to enhance your confidence and reflective skills when considering yours and others work.
Course materials and resources
All course materials are included in the course fee.
You’ll have the opportunity to work with industry-standard equipment in our dedicated animation studios including professional standard armatures and lightboxes. Our tutors will guide you through the application and use of post-production software to give you an understanding of editing techniques and creative post-production processes.
Course outcomes and assessments
There will be a screening of the completed animated films with group evaluation and critique. You’ll receive a copy of your completed film to add to your portfolio or showreel.
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official Summer Course Certificate detailing course contents, course credits and study hours.