Experiment with colour, pattern, fabric, textiles and design while developing skills and knowledge of the fashion industry.
27 July-7 August 2020
Course Fees: £1,995
Including residential programme: £2,895
For students aged 15+
Explore key concepts in fashion design and textiles with the opportunity to experiment with a wide range of fabrics and techniques.
From sketchbook and fashion research through to understanding colour palettes, recording fashion shapes and understanding fabric manipulation, a series of practical workshops and inspirational study sessions will enhance your design knowledge, critical awareness and develop your fashion illustration skills. You will be guided through the creative design process and encouraged to your own style.
Based in our fully-equipped fashion studios and with guidance from our specialist tutors you’ll learn to translate your visual ideas using a multitude of materials and techniques, including experimenting with digital printing. The end of the course will culminate in a photo shoot of your garments using our professional models and a make up artist. You’ll leave with a series of polished photos ideal for adding to your portfolio.
The course aims to:
- Provide extended practical sessions to develop your fashion design skills in a professional Higher Education setting.
- Develop your drawing, observational skills and aesthetic awareness in relation to fashion design.
- Develop your understanding of the key principles of fashion design and the importance of the research process.
- Enable you to develop your individual fashion identity through a series of exploratory and experimental workshops.
- Develop your ability to communicate your fashion design ideas confidently and effectively through oral presentations, sketches and written work.
- Enable you to explore industry standard fashion resources, developing your confidence and understanding of appropriate use of fashion equipment and best practice.
- Enhance your understanding of fashion analysis techniques; how to communicate visually and respond creatively to a brief.
- Enable you to produce a digital or physical fashion folio of work for future development or use at interview.
- Enhance your understanding of important historical, social and cultural issues related to fashion and their influence on contemporary fashion design.
- Develop your knowledge and understanding of the fashion industry as a collaborative production process and the specialist roles within this process (designer, stylist, fashion writer, merchandiser, buyer etc).
- Encourage your reflective skills through the critique of your own and others’ work, as well as through the critical study of key fashion concepts.
Course materials and resources
All course materials and course trips are included in the course fee.
Students will be taught in our dedicated fashion studios and workshops with access to our digital media suites, library and online resources.
Course outcomes and assessments
Students who complete the course will leave with a digital and physical fashion folio, including professional photographs of their finished garments and fashion styles.
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official Summer Course Certificate detailing course contents and study hours.