Develop key skills and knowledge about the fashion industry.
COURSE DURATION AND DATES
Course duration: 3 weeks
Course dates: 23rd July – 9th August 2019
For students aged 16+
Course highlights include:
- Explore key concepts in fashion design and promotion
- Develop your Fashion Portfolio
- London Study trip: street style sketchbooks, visit fashion collections
- Research workshops: 3D experimentation, colour palettes, fabric awareness
- Fashion Illustration: Drawing the Fashion Figure
- Practical workshops in draping, sketching, deconstructing garments, machine sewing
- Introduction to the fashion industry including blogging and advertising
- Create your own fashion piece
- Develop your Fashion Identity
- Professional photoshoot of your designed garment.
Ideal for those who are considering further studies or a career in fashion, this course will introduce key concepts in fashion design and encourage you to develop your own fashion identity, to challenge assumptions, think unpredictably and reach surprising solutions.You will explore key concepts in fashion and have the opportunity to experiment with a wide range of fabrics and textile techniques. From sketchbook and fashion research through to understanding colour palettes, recording fashion shapes and understanding fabric manipulation, a series of practical workshops and inspirational study sessions will enhance your design knowledge, critical awareness and develop your fashion illustration skills. Our tutors will show you how to translate your visual ideas using a variety of materials and professional fashion equipment including digital printing. With guidance from the tutors your work will culminate with the styling of a photo shoot with a makeup artist on hand in which to record a series of images for you to add to your portfolio or develop further.
The course includes a day-trip to London and professional photoshoot of your styled fashion look.
Excluding accommodation: £2,295
Including accommodation: £3,495
The course aims to:
- Provide extended practical sessions to develop your fashion design skills in a professional Higher Education setting
- Develop your drawing, observational skills and aesthetic awareness in relation to fashion design
- Develop your understanding of the key principles of fashion design and the importance of the research process
- Enable you to develop your individual fashion identity through a series of exploratory and experimental workshops
- Develop your ability to communicate your fashion design ideas confidently and effectively through oral presentations, sketches and written work
- Enable you to explore industry standard fashion resources, developing your confidence and understanding of appropriate use of fashion equipment and best practice
- Enhance your understanding of fashion analysis techniques; how to communicate visually and respond creatively to a brief
- Enable you to produce a digital or physical fashion folio of work for future development or use at interview
- Enhance your understanding of important historical, social and cultural issues related to fashion and their influence on contemporary fashion design
- Develop your knowledge and understanding of the fashion industry as a collaborative production process and the specialist roles within this process (designer, stylist, fashion writer, merchandiser, buyer etc)
- Encourage your reflective skills through the critique of your own and others’ work, as well as through the critical study of key fashion concepts
Course materials and resources
All course materials and course trips are included in the course fee.
Students will be taught in our dedicated fashion studios and workshops with access to our digital media suites, library and online resources.
Course outcomes and assessments
Students who complete the course will leave with a digital and physical fashion folio, including professional photographs of their finished garments and fashion styles.
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Summer Course Certificate detailing course contents and study hours.