A hands-on course that explores the world of British architectural designs through a series of practical workshops, group projects and landmark study trips.
21 July-7 August 2020
Course Fees: £2,295
Including residential programme: £3,495
For students aged 15+
Through practical projects and tutorials, develop an understanding of the design process and the importance of an ideas-based approach to your creative work. You will consider key aspects of spatial and 3D design including colour, shape, form, pattern and texture, fabric, finishes and presentation.
Developing your own ideas through initial sketches, inspiration sessions, mood boards, research and analysis you will also study interior and exterior architectural spaces; exploring planning, the function of a space and learn how to draw to scale.
Under the guidance of your tutor, you’ll learn how to take your ideas from concept through to design and presentation. Through a series of practical sessions, you’ll experiment with various materials, learn about space and light and how to effectively use texture and pattern.
You’ll develop your drawing skills as well as a series of 3D models; individual and group studio projects will allow you to explore building materials and methods of construction.
The course aims to:
- Develop your drawing, observational skills and aesthetic awareness in relation to 3D design, interior design and architecture.
- Enhance your design skills through practical exercises, exploring contemporary techniques and traditional processes.
- Provide teaching guidance and resources to enable students to produce a varied folio of architectural drawings, designs and model work to demonstrate your skills and knowledge.
- Develop your knowledge and understanding of professional design practice with access to industry-standard equipment.
- Provide opportunities for self-evaluation and critique to enhance your confidence and reflective skills when considering yours and others work.
Course materials and resources
All course materials are included in the course fee.
You’ll have the opportunity to work with industry-standard equipment in our design and photography studios and digital editing suites. Our tutors will guide you through the application and use of software to give you an understanding of editing techniques and creative post-production processes
Course outcomes and assessments
Work produced during the course can be collated into a digital journal for students to add to their portfolio or for future development.
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official Summer Course Certificate detailing course contents, course credits and study hours.