You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
Check out the course dates and fees for this 2-week full-time course below, including our popular residential package.
Monday 31 July 2023 – Friday 11 August 2023
- Course fee only: £1,499
- Course fee including residential and half-board catering package: £2,199
Please note, you can secure your place on the course today with just a £695 deposit.
When you book this course today you have the opportunity to experience life as a university student by opting for the residential package, which aims to give our summer students a taste of life as a full-time #AUBMAKER.
Residential package includes:
- Half-board catering (breakfast and lunch)
- Single study bedroom with private en-suite bathroom in AUB Halls of Residence, situated on AUB's campus
- Halls of Residence Wi-Fi
- 24-hour on-site security staff and live-in AUB residential staff (help is available 24/7)
- Optional taxi transfer from the airport
- Social activities and excursions
Take a look at AUB’s Halls of Residence, just click on the Campus Halls option.
If you wish to include accommodation and/or a taxi transfer from the airport in your summer course booking, simply select the residential option when you book your place.
About this course
You'll learn how to build a portfolio in order to make the broader understanding of fine art visible to yourself and others. The breadth of these possibilities will be accessed through what is specific in terms of practical instruction via core hand-eye skills and thinking and feeling through material processes. We'll also help you to make and see what is specific about your personal relationship to fine art. You'll also discover your visual instincts and what they allow you to say about your own life in a way that no-one else can.
You'll work on a series of themed projects across a mixture of art subjects to allow you to experiment and explore your own creative identity whilst also developing your understanding of key creative processes of fine art to enhance your work.
Course highlights include:
- Discussion on the history of fine art and where it's now in relation to your own history (where you're coming from, where you're now and where you want to go)
- How to write a short statement in relation to the above
- How to use other art to understand who you're and where you fit in
- Reflection on your most important visual experiences
- Instruction on core drawing skills to understand memory/observation/dreams in relation to your most important visual experiences
- Instruction on core drawing and making skills to gain control and confidence
- Instruction on how to use a process to without control in order to surprise/recognise yourself
- An introduction to oil paint in relation to colour theory
- Drawing and modelling from the figure /motif in clay and charcoal
- Exploring traditional, tangible materials in order to make something contemporary
- Exploring contemporary, intangible materials (audio, digital, performance) to make something timeless
- How to identify and analyse formal concerns
- Practising explaining your artwork at an interview or presentation
- Transformation and how to transcend craft and decorative qualities into something that tries to ask a question of yourself and the wider world
- Develop confidence in your abilities and develop a varied portfolio of creative work to demonstrate your skills and creative identity that you can use towards further study, university applications or to help inform your artistic direction
- Provide extended practical sessions to experiment with artistic processes in a professional Higher Education setting
- Develop your drawing and observational skills to enhance your aesthetic awareness and inform your research activities
- Develop your critical and contextual awareness of different approaches within fine art
- Enhance your knowledge of appropriate and safe use of a wide range of media, materials and technologies used to develop creative solutions
- Provide opportunities for self-evaluation and critique to enhance your confidence and reflective skills when considering yours and others work
- Increase your confidence when articulating your ideas and presenting your portfolio for review and interview
- Provide an understanding of the different types of jobs available to you in the creative industries
All course materials and equipment are included in the course fee.
You’ll be taught in our state-of-the-art industry-standard art and design studios and digital suites, with access to AUB’s library and online resources.
Work produced during the course will be collated into a portfolio and/or digital journal for you to add to your portfolio or for future development.
Your course tutors will offer guidance and support you with your creative applications, as well as feedback on your work and offer advice for your future creative studies.
If you complete the course 100% course attendance you'll be issued with an official AUB summer course certificate detailing course contents and study hours.
During your course we'll arrange for you to attend a talk with our friendly team here at AUB where you’ll have all your burning questions about how to progress to study full-time at AUB answered.
Whilst studying your summer course you are guaranteed to receive a pre-application interview and portfolio review for the course(s) of your choice. If you're made an offer to continue your studies at AUB we'll handle your application, so you don’t have to, therefore completely removing the stress of applying to university!
Course(s) that you may be interested in include:
All you need to know about studying your summer course
Why choose AUB for your summer course?
We're a first-choice provider of residential and online courses for students wishing to engage in a creative course experience
Residential packages for summer courses
Experience life as an AUB student by booking a residential package as part of your Summer Course. Stay in AUB's halls of residence.
Entry requirements for summer courses
Entry requirements for Summer Courses, including English Language requirements
Booking your summer course place
How to book your summer course and payment options
Guidance on how to book your Summer Course and the payment options available.
Summer courses FAQs
These FAQs have been carefully curated to answer any questions you may have about studying a creative summer course with us here at AUB.
Booking terms and conditions
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking a summer course.