18th July – 4th Aug 2017 (fully booked) or 8th August – 25th August 2017
The July course is now FULLY BOOKED.
There are limited places available on the August course and we advise booking shortly to avoid disappointment.
An excellent opportunity for those who want to explore a range of artistic approaches to creative thinking and making whilst developing a comprehensive art and design portfolio.
Ideal for those considering an arts degree but who need to develop their portfolio, or want to experience a variety of arts subjects at higher education level, this course enables you to gain hands-on experience, increase your confidence in your creative abilities and make an informed decision about your artistic direction.
Through a mixture of workshops, tutor-led demonstrations and studio sessions, you will gain experience in different arts subjects using a variety of media, processes and techniques.
Sessions will include Drawing and Illustration, Graphic Design, Fashion, Photography, Film, Architecture, Mixed Media and Print Making.
Over 3 weeks you will produce work for your physical and digital portfolio with guidance and support from your tutors to improve your technical skills as well as developing your creative identity.
Our tutors will also guide you through the important processes of how to showcase and present your work, including evaluation and critique, to allow you to reflect on your progress for future development.
Course content includes:
- Developing Drawing: Drawing techniques and styles
- Experiments in Composition and Collage
- Conceptual & Lateral Thinking
- Developing a Visual Language
- Sketchbooks: creative ideas development
- 3D Design: Sculpture and Architectural Models
- Printmaking workshop
- Typography and Design Experiments
- Problem solving and responding to a brief
- Fashion and Surface Design: creative approaches
- Film: Still and Digital Images
- Creating Stories and Narratives
- Photography: Photoshop and creative image editing
- Analogue vs Digital techniques
- Layout and Portfolio Showcase
- Portfolio tutorials and feedback
- Digital Portfolio
- Group presentations and evaluation
The course aims to:
- Enable you to develop a portfolio of work in a variety of art and design disciplines to demonstrate your skills and creative identity
- Provide extended practical sessions to experiment with artistic processes in a professional Higher Education setting
- Develop your drawing and observational skills to enhance your aesthetic awareness and inform your research and design activities
- Develop your critical and contextual awareness of different approaches within art and design related subjects
- Enhance your knowledge of appropriate and safe use of a wide range of media, materials and technologies used to develop creative solutions
- Provide opportunities for self-evaluation and critique to enhance your confidence and reflective skills when considering yours and others work
- Increase your confidence when articulating your ideas and presenting your portfolio for review and interview
- Provide an understanding of the different types of jobs available to you in the creative industries
Course Materials & Resources
All course materials and resources are included in the course fee including your sketchbook and A3 portfolio folder.
Students will be taught in professional art and design studios and digital suites, with access to our library and online resources.
Course Outcomes & Assessment
Students will leave the course with a physical A3 art portfolio and digital portfolio containing their work for interview submission or future development.
Portfolio review with course tutor.
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Summer Course Certificate detailing course contents and study hours.