18 July – 4 August 2017 or 8 – 25 August 2017
Develop your photography skills as well as your confidence in our practical photography summer course.
The Practical Photography course is made up of a series of workshops, tutorials and photography shoots designed to increase your confidence and knowledge of photography processes and develop your practical photographic skills.
You will be guided through the fundamentals of photography and explore creative techniques in photography to gain a greater understanding of how to ‘tell a story’ through your photographs and find your photographic style.
You will take part in a variety of studio shoots including still life, portraiture and commercial, as well as a series of location shoots in and around Bournemouth. You’ll have the chance to capture some of the most impressive coastlines and landscapes in the area, as well as exploring urban photography.
Post-production workshops will increase your knowledge of photography processes and editing software. You will also have the opportunity to professionally print a selection of your images taken during the course to add to your portfolio.
The course includes:
- Camera controls: exposure, ISO, depth-of-field
- Working with light
- Image Composition
- Flash control and Speedlight
- Editorial photography
- Studio Photography: best practice
- Working with models
- Portraiture and Still Life
- Advertising and Commercial photography: responding to a brief
- Creating Visual narratives: telling a story through your image
- Location shoots: landscape, coastal
- Post production – image adjustment, Adobe Photoshop & Lightroom, digital capture workflow
- Exhibition of work, critique and certificate
The course aims to:
- Provide extended practical sessions to develop your skills and experiment with photographic styles and processes in a professional studio setting
- Enable you to learn and apply your creativity, understanding and technical skills to your personal photographic practice
- Enhance your understanding of narrative techniques; how to communicate visually and respond creatively to a brief
- Enable you to produce a varied folio of photographic work to demonstrate your skills and photographic style
- Develop your understanding of how to use studio lighting safely and creatively
- Develop your practical experience and understanding of post-production techniques and processes, including work flow and time management
- Enable you to explore industry standard photography equipment, developing your confidence and understanding of photographic equipment and best practice
- Raise your awareness of ethical, social and cultural issues related to photography
Course Materials and Resources
All course materials are included in the course fee and photographic materials are available to each student on the course.
You are encouraged to bring your own camera to increase your confidence when using their own equipment – however cameras and photographic accessories will all be provided during the course as required.
Course Outcomes and Assessment
- Exhibition of work produced during the course with group feedback and critique
- Professional prints of selected work produced on the course
- All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Summer Course Certificate detailing course contents, course credits and study hours.