8th August – 25th August 2017
Develop the skills, techniques and confidence needed to explore this key creative role in performance, fashion, film or television
Working in our dedicated make-up studios, you’ll be introduced to a diverse range of make-up and hair skills, as well as exploring special effects and prosthetic make-up for film and television.
A series of tutor led demonstrations and inspiration sessions will increase your knowledge and understanding of the design and research process when creating a make-up look.
You will be encouraged to experiment with techniques, materials and styles with extended practical sessions giving you the opportunity to create your own looks, which will be recorded in a series of professional photo shoots to add to your portfolio or CV.
You will enhance your knowledge of iconic looks through the ages, recreating key aspects of the era and have the opportunity to experiment in a variety of period hair work, including wigs and specialist hair pieces. Your finished looks will be exhibited at the end of the course for group discussion and final critique.
The course includes:
- Avant garde experimentation
- High fashion techniques
- Contemporary hair
- Casualty simulation make-up
- Developing a character
- Sketchbook work and research
- Zombie workshop
- Introduction to special effects application
- 1920s/40s/60s/80s make-up
- Wig work and period hair
- Ageing effects
- Series of professional photoshoots to record your finished looks
The course aims to:
- Provide extended practical sessions to develop your make-up skills in a professional Higher Education setting
- Develop your observational skills and aesthetic awareness in relation to make-up design
- Enable you to develop your individual make-up style through a series of exploratory and experimental workshops
- Enable you to explore industry standard make-up resources in a safe environment, developing your confidence and understanding of appropriate use of equipment and best practice
- Enhance your understanding of fashion analysis techniques; how to communicate visually and respond creatively to a brief
- Enable you to produce a digital folio of work for future development or use at interview
- Enhance your understanding of important historical, social and cultural issues related to make-up and hair, and their influence on contemporary make-up design
- Develop your knowledge and understanding of the make-up industry as a collaborative production process and the specialist roles within this process (make-up artist, stylist, fashion writer, photographer etc)
- Encourage your reflective skills through the critique of your own and others’ work, as well as through the critical study of key make-up concepts
Course Materials & Resources
All course materials and equipment are included in the course fee; students will be taught in our dedicated make-up studios and workshops with access to our digital media suites, library and online resources.
Course Outcomes & Assessment
A series of photoshoots to record and capture all of the finished make-up looks and styles to add to your portfolio/cv and for future development.
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Summer Course Certificate detailing course contents and study hours.