18th July – 4th August 2017
Ideal for those who are considering further studies or a career in fashion, this course will also introduce key concepts in fashion design and promotion.
This course is designed to encourage your creative thinking and build confidence in expressing your own ideas, as well as developing your design skills and knowledge of the fashion industry.
You will be guided through initial research and fashion analysis sessions using techniques including collage, 3D experimentation and work on colour and styling. You will explore drawing styles and fashion illustration – a key skill for those wanting to join the industry – and learn how to express your designs figuratively.
Tutor-led seminars will explore the ‘business’ side of the fashion industry including blogging, advertising and fashion editorial. You will also learn how to showcase your work for presentations and prepare a fashion folio. At the end of the course there will be a professional photo shot to record your finished garments with an exhibition and group critique of the work produced.
The course includes:
- Research and analysis: experimental design
- Creating inspiration sheets and mood boards
- Developing a colour palette
- Fabric awareness
- Illustration and sketching for fashion
- Drawing the fashion figure
- Draping on a mannequin stand and pattern cutting
- Machine sewing
- Fashion styling and fashion photoshoot
- Developing your fashion identity
- London Study trip: street style sketchbooks, visit fashion collections
- Fashion advertising and editorial
- Social media and blogging
- How to build a fashion folio
The course aims to:
- Provide extended practical sessions to develop your fashion design skills in a professional Higher Education setting
- Develop your drawing, observational skills and aesthetic awareness in relation to fashion design
- Develop your understanding of the key principles of fashion design and the importance of the research process
- Enable you to develop your individual fashion identity through a series of exploratory and experimental workshops
- Develop your ability to communicate your fashion design ideas confidently and effectively through oral presentations, sketches and written work
- Enable you to explore industry standard fashion resources, developing your confidence and understanding of appropriate use of fashion equipment and best practice
- Enhance your understanding of fashion analysis techniques; how to communicate visually and respond creatively to a brief
- Enable you to produce a digital or physical fashion folio of work for future development or use at interview
- Enhance your understanding of important historical, social and cultural issues related to fashion and their influence on contemporary fashion design
- Develop your knowledge and understanding of the fashion industry as a collaborative production process and the specialist roles within this process (designer, stylist, fashion writer, merchandiser, buyer etc)
- Encourage your reflective skills through the critique of your own and others’ work, as well as through the critical study of key fashion concepts
Course Materials & Resources
All course materials and course trips are included in the course fee.
Students will be taught in our dedicated fashion studios and workshops with access to our digital media suites, library and online resources.
Course Outcomes & Assessment
Students who complete the course will leave with a digital and physical fashion folio, including professional photographs of their finished garments and fashion styles.
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Summer Course Certificate detailing course contents and study hours.