24th July – 10th August 2018
Improve your technical skills and understanding of visual imagery whilst developing a portfolio of work in a variety of photographic styles.
Course highlights include:
- The Fundamentals of Photography
- Camera Controls: Exposure, ISO, Depth-Of-Field
- Location Shoots – Landscape and Coastal Photography
- Working with Light & Image Composition
- Flash Control and Speedlight
- Studio Shoots Photography: Working with Models in professional studios
- Creating Visual Narratives: Telling a story through imagery
- Developing your own photographic style
- Portraiture and Still Life
- Advertising, Editorial and Commercial Photography
- Showcasing your work: Portfolio Development and Image selection
- Post Production: Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom
- Exhibition of work and critique
Explore creative techniques in photography and develop your own photographic style in this varied and exciting course. You will take part in a series of workshops and photography shoots designed to increase your confidence and practical photographic skills.
Learn how to use a variety of camera controls to achieve a desired creative effect and learn the skill of how to ‘tell a story’ through your photography.
The course incorporates studio shoots including still life, portraiture and commercial and a series of location shoots to capture some of the most impressive coastlines and landscapes in the area, as well as exploring urban photography.
You will be guided through the process of selecting and showcasing your best work to produce a comprehensive portfolio that you can develop further in your own time or to use for university applications and further study.
There will also be the opportunity to professionally print a selection of your images taken during the course to add to your portfolio using our industry standard printing equipment including Epsom wide format printers.
The course aims to:
- Provide extended practical sessions to develop your skills and experiment with photographic styles and processes in a professional studio setting
- Enable you to learn and apply your creativity, understanding and technical skills to your personal photographic practice
- Enhance your understanding of narrative techniques; how to communicate visually and respond creatively to a brief
- Enable you to produce a varied folio of photographic work to demonstrate your skills and photographic style
- Develop your understanding of how to use studio lighting safely and creatively
- Develop your practical experience and understanding of post-production techniques and processes, including work flow and time management
- Enable you to explore industry standard photography equipment, developing your confidence and understanding of photographic equipment and best practice
- Raise your awareness of ethical, social and cultural issues related to photography
Course Materials and Resources
This course includes a number of locations shoots and study trips to make sure you get the most out of your photography. All course trips and travel are included in the course fee.
Course Outcomes and Assessment
Students will leave the course with a digital portfolio containing their work for interview submission or future development.