24th July – 10th August 2018
Develop key skills and knowledge about the fashion industry.
Course highlights include:
- Explore key concepts in fashion design and promotion
- Develop your Fashion Portfolio
- London Study trip: street style sketchbooks, visit fashion collections
- Research workshops: 3D experimentation, colour palettes, fabric awareness
- Fashion Illustration: Drawing the Fashion Figure
- Practical workshops in draping, sketching, deconstructing garments, machine sewing
- Introduction to the fashion industry including blogging and advertising
- Create your own fashion piece
- Develop your Fashion Identity
- Professional photoshoot of your designed garment
Ideal for those who are considering further studies or a career in fashion, this course will introduce key concepts in fashion design and encourage you to develop your own fashion identity, to challenge assumptions, think unpredictably and reach surprising solutions.
The UK fashion industry is a thriving, vibrant and creative business; constantly changing and demanding exciting new talent, it has universal appeal.
Through a combination of experimental studio workshops, demonstrations and hands-on exercises, you will develop a creative and entrepreneurial outlook, and discover some of the fascinating new creative technology influencing fashion design and garment making.
Delivered in our dedicated fashion studios you will experience the full fashion design process, starting with research, translation and drawing techniques, through to garment design and production.
The course includes a day-trip to London and professional photoshoot of your finished fashion piece.
The course aims to:
- Provide extended practical sessions to develop your fashion design skills in a professional Higher Education setting
- Develop your drawing, observational skills and aesthetic awareness in relation to fashion design
- Develop your understanding of the key principles of fashion design and the importance of the research process
- Enable you to develop your individual fashion identity through a series of exploratory and experimental workshops
- Develop your ability to communicate your fashion design ideas confidently and effectively through oral presentations, sketches and written work
- Enable you to explore industry standard fashion resources, developing your confidence and understanding of appropriate use of fashion equipment and best practice
- Enhance your understanding of fashion analysis techniques; how to communicate visually and respond creatively to a brief
- Enable you to produce a digital or physical fashion folio of work for future development or use at interview
- Enhance your understanding of important historical, social and cultural issues related to fashion and their influence on contemporary fashion design
- Develop your knowledge and understanding of the fashion industry as a collaborative production process and the specialist roles within this process (designer, stylist, fashion writer, merchandiser, buyer etc)
- Encourage your reflective skills through the critique of your own and others’ work, as well as through the critical study of key fashion concepts
Course Materials & Resources
All course materials and course trips are included in the course fee.
Students will be taught in our dedicated fashion studios and workshops with access to our digital media suites, library and online resources.
Course Outcomes & Assessment
Students who complete the course will leave with a digital and physical fashion folio, including professional photographs of their finished garments and fashion styles.
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Summer Course Certificate detailing course contents and study hours.