You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
This exciting themed one-week workshop gives you the opportunity to take inspiration from the beautiful south coast to create your own jewellery collection.
To book your place today, simply click 'book now' to be taken to AUB's secure online store where you can complete your booking. You can also sign up to our newsletter for summer course updates.
What you need to know
When does the course run?
Monday 12 August – Friday 16 August 2024
How long is the course?
What time will my classes be?
There'll be a daily lunch break, plus other breaks within the schedule.
In addition to the course's teaching hours, you'll be able to access our studios in the early evenings to continue with of your pieces at your own pace, if you wish.
Who's this course suitable for?
The minimum age for this course is 18.
We welcome aspiring jewellery makers of all ages and abilities; it's perfect for anyone who has a passion to learn and develop their skills.
Do I need qualifications for this course?
There are no formal academic entry requirements or qualifications needed to study this course.
As an introductory workshop, you don't need any previous knowledge or understanding. However, if you do have some previous experience you're welcome to study this unique and inspirationally themed workshop.
I'm not sure if this course is suitable for me, can I contact you?
If you're unsure if this course is suitable for you, get in touch with us and we'll advise you. Either email us at email@example.com or call us on +44 1202 363222.
You can choose to add our economically priced residential package to your course fee. Choose your package during the booking process.
Residential package includes
- Full-board catering on-site at AUB (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
- Accommodation in AUB Halls of Residence, situated on AUB's campus
- En-suite private room in a cluster flat with shared kitchen and lounge
- Rooms are furnished with single bed, wardrobe, drawers, desk and chair
- All bed linen supplied
- Halls of Residence Wi-Fi
- 24-hour on-site security staff and live-in AUB residential staff (help is available 24/7)
Take a look at AUB’s Halls of Residence, just click on the Campus Halls option.
See below the prices of our packages. Choose your package during the booking process.
Course fee only
Course fee PLUS residential
What's included in my course fee?
- All additional materials and resources not mentioned in the 'what to bring' section below
Please be aware you'll need to bring some equipment with you. This may incur an additional cost on top of your course fee if you need to purchase any equipment. Refer to the 'what to bring' section below for full details.
Please be aware that you'll need to purchase your own silver.
Silver can be purchased independently (a list of suppliers will be provided to you upon booking your workshop) or through the course tutor on the first day.
The cost per student will vary, depending on the amount of silver used. Projects can be designed to suit everyone’s budget.
- A sketchbook and drawing equipment to plan your designs
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including a mask suitable for polishing
- Wear old clothes or an apron and flat, closed-toe shoes
- Glasses, if needed for close work
- Hairband, to tie long hair back
About this course
Celebrating Dorset’s Jurassic Coast, this unique and exciting themed one-week summer workshop will provide a platform of inspiration and enable you to create your very own jewellery collection.
Seascapes, fossils and sunshine will fuel your creativity and be the inspiration for your designs which, when combined with learning new techniques and processes, will enable you develop a unique jewellery collection.
The course starts with the introduction to a fully equipped jewellery workshop, offering the scope to explore many different exciting techniques. After which, time will be spent focusing on design development and bringing together a collection of jewellery.
Throughout the week various processes will be introduced such as soldering, texturing metal, granulation, etching, rudimentary casting and fold forming. All these processes will provide the backdrop for the creation of an experimental body of work inspired by the textures, and seascape of the Jurassic Coast. The use of various non-precious metals and silver will be explored. Stone setting will be introduced to enable you to embellish your designs if you so wish.
At the end of each day there will be a supportive ‘chat and share’ of each other’s work, and you'll be updated on what to expect the following day.
You'll be taught by specialist jeweller, Yvette Cannon, who possesses over 30 years’ experience designing, making, and teaching jewellery at various levels. Yvette brings a breadth of knowledge and experience within the field of jewellery making, from bespoke design to realisation of a finished product.
The Jurassic Coast is one of the UK's four Natural UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Stretching 95 miles along the south coast of the UK, within Dorset and Devon, it's recognised for its outstanding rocks, fossils and landforms. Unsurprisingly it attracts millions of visitors from all over the world each year, to take in its unique history and character.
It's the only place on the planet where rocks from the Triassic, Jurassic and Cretaceous Periods can be seen in one place, representing 185 million years of Earth’s history.
The rocks of the Jurassic Coast conceal untold stories of continents colliding, landscapes being formed by the tide and extraordinary creatures living, dying and evolving across millions of years.
It was on the Lyme Regis coast that fossil-hunter Mary Anning discovered the UK's first dinosaur fossil – the ichthyosaur – in 1811.
As well as fossils and unique rock formations, the Jurassic Coast is home to some of the UK's stand-out, iconic natural landmarks, including Old Harry Rocks, Durdle Door, and Lulworth Cove.
It's no wonder that the rich geological history of the Jurassic Coast serves as ideal inspiration for artists across the world.
- Take part in guided practical workshops
- Insight into the world of jewellery design
- Exploration of different crafting and tooling techniques
- Guidance on design approaches
- Practical exercises to expand your skill set
- Texturing metal
- Stone setting
- Exploration of different metals
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Summer Course certificate of attendance. You'll receive this at the end of your course.
On your last day there'll be an exhibition of the work created on the course; celebrate your achievements and those of your fellow jewellery makers.
The Summer Courses team invite you to attend an optional farewell meal at a local restaurant. A perfect conclusion to your creative week where new friendships and skills shall be celebrated.
After this course you could:
- Use your new skills to further your career or change direction
- Continue to develop your skills at home as a hobby
- Develop a robust portfolio of personal work to contribute to further study or employment
Further study opportunities
You may wish to consider the following further study options:
You can also continue to harness your creativity; explore our full range of evening and weekend courses courses to see where your creative journey will take you next, including further Jewellery short courses.
- All specialist tools, equipment and course materials are included in your course fee
- Come away with increased confidence in your jewellery-making and designing skills, including the approach to different processes
- Have the opportunity to experiment with different techniques and manufacture
- Gain hands-on experience and a comprehensive overview of working with various metals, including silver if you wish
- Learn how to use a range of jewellery-making tools safely and effectively
- Receive expert support and guidance from a practising professional artist, including feedback on your ideas and work
- The opportunity to network and share ideas with other students from around the globe
- Access AUB's industry-standard studio spaces, including the specialist equipment and materials relevant to your discipline
- Leave with skills and foundations that you can use at home to continue creating beyond this course
- Study alongside up to 12 like-minded students and have fun
- You'll study at a leading specialist university – so we know what we're doing when it comes to providing unparalleled courses
- Your tutor is an industry professional, so you'll learn from the best
- We cater for all abilities and have no formal entry requirements for this course, so there's nothing holding you back
- You'll learn in a safe and encouraging environment where there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- Benefit from our incredible campus and its industry-standard studios, plus use state-of-the-art equipment and software to unleash your creativity
Meet your tutor
Examples of jewellery
See below for a selection of examples of the type of work you'll undertake on this course. You'll explore a wide range of jewellery making techniques and experiment with different materials through numerous practical workshops.
All you need to know about studying your Summer Artisan Workshop
Why choose AUB for your summer course?
We're a first-choice provider of residential and online courses for students wishing to engage in a creative course experience
Residential packages for Summer Artisan Workshops
When you book your course, you have the chance to add our residential package to your booking.
Entry requirements for summer courses
Entry requirements for Summer Courses, including English Language requirements
Booking your Summer Artisan Workshop place
How to book your summer course and payment options
Guidance on how to book your Summer Course and the payment options available.
Terms and Conditions – Summer Artisan Workshops
Summer Artisan Workshops – booking terms and conditions for 2024.
FAQs – Summer Artisan Workshops
We've provided some frequently asked questions which we hope will support any questions you may have prior to booking your course.