You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
This exciting one-week workshop gives you the chance to delve into the world of illustrated publishing and explore its many forms and genres.
To book your place today, simply click 'book now' to be taken to AUB's secure online store where you can complete your booking. You can also sign up to our newsletter for summer course updates.
What you need to know
When does the course run?
Monday 12 August – Friday 16 August 2024
How long is the course?
What time will my classes be?
There'll be a daily lunch break, plus other breaks within the schedule.
In addition to the course's teaching hours, you'll be able to access our studios in the early evenings to continue working on your pieces at your own pace, if you wish.
Who's this course suitable for?
The minimum age for this course is 18.
We welcome artists of all ages and abilities; it's perfect for anyone who has a passion to learn and develop their skills.
Do I need qualifications for this course?
There are no formal academic entry requirements or qualifications needed to study this course.
As an introductory course, no previous understanding or experience is required. Some basic illustration or drawing skills will be valuable.
Although this is an introductory course, it's also a good workshop for individuals currently working in a related field who are looking to develop or diversify their skillset within illustrated publishing.
I'm not sure if this course is suitable for me, can I contact you?
If you're unsure if this course is suitable for you, get in touch with us and we'll advise you. Either email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on +44 1202 363222.
You can choose to add our economically priced residential package to your course fee. Choose your package during the booking process.
Residential package includes
- Full-board catering on-site at AUB (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
- Accommodation in AUB Halls of Residence, situated on AUB's campus
- En-suite private room in a cluster flat with shared kitchen and lounge
- Rooms are furnished with single bed, wardrobe, drawers, desk and chair
- All bed linen supplied
- Halls of Residence Wi-Fi
- 24-hour on-site security staff and live-in AUB residential staff (help is available 24/7)
Take a look at AUB’s Halls of Residence, just click on the Campus Halls option.
See below the prices of our packages. Choose your package during the booking process.
Course fee only
Course fee PLUS residential
What's included in my course fee?
- A4 and A3 sketchbook
- All additional resources and equipment
There are no additional costs for this course; all resources are provided as part of your course fee.
- Your design ideas, concepts, plans or rough drafts
- Enthusiasm and a desire to learn and progress amongst like-minded people
About this course
This highly practical workshop has been designed to allow you to delve into the world of illustrated publishing and explore its many forms and genres, from adult graphic novels to children’s non-fiction and picture books. It's specifically aimed at illustrators and artists of any level who are interested in applying their work within the world of illustrated publishing.
The workshop starts by breaking down the major areas of artistic publishing and the essential processes of working on an illustrated book from start to finish. This will help you to build a fundamental understanding of indispensable creative process and the subject matter. You'll explore routes of work opportunities, understand how the market works, and how illustration styles and processes can vary depending on a wide range of genres.
You'll also benefit from visiting lecturers; from industry specialists who shall help to inspire, and to demonstrate the nuances of their practice and book development as well as providing specialised subject experience.
During the course, you'll progress through a range of guided practical workshops and research tasks to explore and develop your own ideas and processes within illustrated publishing. A structured series of workshops will take you through the crucial early stages of preparing an illustrated book and assist in finding a path and topic that aligns with your interest or current practice.
The aim of the course is to provide you with the essential building blocks necessary to start your own illustrated book journey. You'll work towards creating a selection of sample pages, a rough contents list and that all important cover design which could then be used when pitching to real-world publishers or continued upon within a self-publishing format. Whatever the outcome, you'll have a series of completed illustrated pieces to add to your portfolio.
- Illustrated publishing theory
- Fundamental knowledge of illustrated publishing and the various genres
- Different approaches to creating
- Research and development techniques to work towards the development of personal publishing projects
- Work towards a pitch-able book consisting of sample spreads, rough contents and cover
- A range of demonstrations, and insights into famous artists and styles/genres
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Summer Course certificate of attendance. You'll receive this at the end of your course.
On your last day there'll be an exhibition of the work created on the course; celebrate your achievements and those of your fellow artists.
The Summer Courses team invite you to attend an optional farewell meal at a local restaurant. A perfect conclusion to your creative week where new friendships and skills shall be celebrated.
After this course you could:
- Use your new skills to further your career or change direction
- Continue to develop your skills at home as a hobby
- Develop a robust portfolio of personal work to contribute to further study or employment
Further study opportunities
You may wish to consider the following further study options:
- Foundation Diploma in Art, Design and Media
- BA (Hons) Illustration
- BA (Hons) Fine Art
- BA (Hons) Games Art and Design
You can also continue to harness your creativity; explore our full range of evening and weekend courses courses to see where your creative journey will take you next, including further Art, Design, Drawing and Painting short courses or The Art of Illustration.
- All specialist tools, equipment and course materials are included in your course fee
- Come away with increased confidence in your drawing and illustration skills
- Have the opportunity to experiment and develop your ideas whilst discovering new approaches to creating
- Gain hands-on experience learning the fundamental knowledge of illustrated publishing and the various genres within this, and to achieve a potential book topic and genre, sample spreads and cover design or concept
- Receive industry-insights from visiting industry professionals providing specialist subject knowledge
- Receive expert support and guidance from a practising professional artist, including feedback on your ideas and work
- The opportunity to network and share ideas with other students from around the globe
- Access AUB's industry-standard studio spaces, including the specialist equipment and materials relevant to your discipline
- Leave with skills and foundations that you can use at home to continue creating beyond this course
- Study alongside up to 16 like-minded students and have fun
- You'll study at a leading specialist university – so we know what we're doing when it comes to providing unparalleled courses
- Your tutor is an industry professional, so you'll learn from the best
- We cater for all abilities and have no formal entry requirements for this course, so there's nothing holding you back
- You'll learn in a safe and encouraging environment where there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- Benefit from our incredible campus and its industry-standard studios, plus use state-of-the-art equipment and software to unleash your creativity
Meet your tutor
Example book illustrations
See below for a selection of examples of the type of work you'll undertake on this course. You'll explore the full spectrum of illustration techniques as well as genres, from adult graphic novels to children’s non-fiction and picture books. All work featured in this gallery is by your tutor, Toby Fox Drew.
All you need to know about studying your Summer Artisan Workshop
Why choose AUB for your summer course?
We're a first-choice provider of residential and online courses for students wishing to engage in a creative course experience
Residential packages for Summer Artisan Workshops
When you book your course, you have the chance to add our residential package to your booking.
Entry requirements for summer courses
Entry requirements for Summer Courses, including English Language requirements
Booking your Summer Artisan Workshop place
How to book your summer course and payment options
Guidance on how to book your Summer Course and the payment options available.
Terms and Conditions – Summer Artisan Workshops
Summer Artisan Workshops – booking terms and conditions for 2024.
FAQs – Summer Artisan Workshops
We've provided some frequently asked questions which we hope will support any questions you may have prior to booking your course.