18 July – 4 August and 8 – 25 August 2017
Gain an insight into the world of animation design and production with our course focusing on hand drawn animation, with the chance to explore cutout and stop motion.
Drawing is at the heart of animation – a series of drawing sessions will improve your observational and design skills, with sketchbooks used to research and record your understanding of character design and cinematic storytelling. You will learn how to animate objects using traditional and contemporary animation techniques working with industry-standard equipment in our dedicated animation studios.
You will work individually as well as in small groups to gain an understanding of the complex and specialist roles of the animation production crew as a collaborative process. You will also explore storyboarding, script writing and pitching film ideas before beginning work on your own short animated film.
At the end of the course, there will be a screening of the animated films created during the course with the opportunity for critique and feedback.
The course includes:
- Drawing techniques and development
- 12 Principles of animation
- 2D animation
- Pitching a Film idea
- Scriptwriting and Storyboarding
- Character Design
- Stop Motion Puppets and Cut Out techniques
- Layout and background
- Group critique and film screenings
The course aims to:
- Develop your drawing, observational skills and aesthetic awareness in relation to animation design and production
- Enhance your animation skills through practical exercises, exploring contemporary techniques and traditional processes
- Provide teaching guidance and resources to enable students to devise and create their own short animated film as a team
- Develop your knowledge and understanding of professional animation practice with access to industry standard equipment
- Provide opportunities for self-evaluation and critique to enhance your confidence and reflective skills when considering yours and others work
Course Materials & Resources
All course materials are included in the course fee.
You will have the opportunity to work with industry-standard equipment in our dedicated animation studios including professional standard armatures and light boxes. Our tutors will guide you through the application and use of post-production software to give you an understanding of editing techniques and creative post-production processes.
Course Outcomes & Assessment
There will be a screening of the completed animated films with group evaluation and critique. You will receive a copy of your completed film to add to your portfolio or showreel.
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Summer Course Certificate detailing course contents, course credits and study hours.