You will learn how to create exciting documents that contain both text and images. Using a variety of layouts, you will be taught how to design and create, tri-fold leaflets, magazine spreads, presentation books, PDFs, interactive documents with animation and basic e-publishing.
During this course, you will work on creative projects that help you explore the unlimited text formatting possibilities available, and learn how to set-up for print using the many tools at your disposal.
Your tutor will encourage you to develop your skills, and teach you how to produce documents in a professional environment. You will be guided through all the production process required, from initial customer briefing to final print. During the 10 evenings, your tutor will introduce you to the correct use of colour formatted correctly for the product you are producing, and help you decide the best typeface to use for a variety of situations.
You will be shown how to set-up a variety of documents, prepare and use master pages, format text and create style sheets. Further areas that are covered include, how InDesign can be used to create content for the Internet and mobile devices. To support your learning, you will also be taken through certain elements of Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator, both of which will help to enhance your use and understanding of Adobe InDesign. The course will culminate in the production of a portfolio of work that will highlight the skills learnt during the course.
Each session will cover a specific area, with examples, and will be followed by a practical tutorial to enhance your design and practical skills.
THE COURSE INCLUDES
- Core InDesign concepts
- Overview of the Interface and toolset
- Creating basic Documents & Master Pages
- Creating & Modifying Objects & Styles
- Outputting your Artwork
- Saving for Print, Web & Devices
- Course files & exercises to take away
- Post course support via email
Autumn term: Monday 9th October – 11th December 2017
Spring term: Monday 15th January – 19th March 2018
The course aims to:
- Cover all main topic areas, as well as best practice principles.
- Provide a set of tasks each session in which to practise and consolidate your understanding. Students are walked through each process to completion.
- Practical – The students are expected, with support from the tutor, to gain independence within each category taught.
Course Outcomes & Assessment
- The goal of this course is to give the student a comprehensive overview, understanding and hands-on experience working with Adobe InDesign.
- All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course Certificate of Attendance detailing course contents, and study hours.
This introductory course assumes students possess no previous knowledge and is suitable for beginners, or those with some previous knowledge who wish to improve their understanding.
This course will be of more benefit to you if you have access to a computer with Adobe InDesign outside of the class in order to practice your skills between sessions.
Adobe Student discount for subscribing the Creative Cloud, is available to eligible students on short course enrolment.
All course materials are included in the course fee.