Further your knowledge and skills in digital photography, combining an in-depth knowledge of advanced camera features, functions and controls, with challenging practical assignments in which to consolidate your understanding and improve your image making potential.
This dedicated project-based course is aimed at confident digital photographers who want to create challenging, informative photographs that communicate and inform to portfolio/exhibition standards.
The course will offer you a combination of talks, demonstrations, technical workshops, studio and location shoots, whilst you work towards completing two practical projects (one individual and one group-based).
Throughout this fast-paced, information-packed course you will gain an in-depth understanding of the creative potential modern day DSLR cameras offer – targeted at the more confident digital photographer who wishes to dedicate their learning to producing creative, well-informed, professional standard images.
Students are expected to continue with their personal project based photographic assignments out of course hours, which will ultimately expand overall knowledge, heighten proficiency and offer improved image making capabilities. Submitted project based images will be assessed by course tutor and group critique on final session.
Students attending this advanced course are expected to carry out practice-led visual research as directed by the course tutors in which to fully benefit. The course does not offer in-depth post-production exercises; solid, well-informed image creation and communication is the key element to this course.
THE COURSE INCLUDES
- Extended creative controls offered in modern DSLR cameras
- Essential add-ons such as tripods, speedlights, lenses, filtration
- Light, light quality and control
- Benefits of metering v histogram readings
- Lighting techniques (studio & location)
- Post-production options and applications, image enhancement, professional web/print output options and optimum settings
- Image based visual communication
- How to turn ideas into creative concepts
- Considering themes, subject matter and mood
- Individual and group – project based assignments
Autumn term: Wednesday 11th October – 13th December 2017
Spring term: Wednesday 17th January – 21st March 2018
David Bird and Jason Bascombe
The course aims to:
- Provide you with more knowledge, skills & confidence
- Develop your understanding of the creative potential modern day DSLR camera
- Enhance your technical skills and develop your creative thought-making
- Develop a deeper understanding of working at a professional level
Course Outcomes & Assessment
- Tutorials and ongoing course critique will offer you essential guidance and measure overall performance
- All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course Certificate of Attendance detailing course contents, and study hours
We recommend you complete the ‘Develop Photography’ course, or have an equivalent understanding of the subject; please contact the Short Course team if you wish to clarify if this course is appropriate for you.
What You Need To Bring
A digital camera with full manual controls (including instruction manual) and any accompanying equipment you wish to use, USB cable for card reader/computer connection, USB memory (8GB recommended), Notebook/sketchpad and pen.
Further expense may be necessary when printing your images, although not mandatory.
All additional course materials provided as part of the course fee.