The course has been designed for those new to the medium of photography and video, who wish to explore the fascinating world of digital image capture.
You may have captured images in your camera, mobile phone or have some experience with video, this course will provide you with the knowledge and skills in which to record the world around you with creativity, flair and context.
In an easy to understand format your tutor Caroline Johnson, will direct you through the maze of information available, often confusing for those students who only really want to understand and appreciate the fundamentals in which to improve their digital imaging, whether stills, video or both!
During this 10-week course you will explore the basic fundamentals in which to get you started on your imaging journey, build confidence and lay the foundation for students who may wish to progress onto our dedicated Photography or Filmmaking short courses.
Mid-class assignments are also promoted in which to consolidate your understanding and bring the excitement of knowing your course colleagues will be shooting also. Thereafter, each session will begin by observing ‘how and what’ all students are capturing; a great way in which to gain and gauge each other’s interpretation and perspective of their surroundings and perhaps areas of personal interest.
During this exploratory course you will be introduced to, and discover:
- How it all started
- What equipment was used and how technology has evolved
- Understand past & current trends
- Examine ideas, relationships and concepts
- Develop a cross-disciplinary approach to the subject, and take the opportunity to explore a range of creative media
- Gain experience studying alongside your colleagues in a lively and stimulating environment, on and off campus
- Challenge yourself by discovering how traditional photographic methods can give the latest techniques a run for their money
- Benefit from the knowledge of what to purchase once the bug has bitten you, it will!
Upon completion of this introductory course you may wish to consider our Discover Photography or Creative Filmmaking & Editing short courses in which to develop and further your understanding… warning, our Short Courses are highly addictive!
What you need to bring
A notebook and pen, laptop or tablet device, an open mind and a good imagination!
- Thursday 26th January – 30th March 2017
Maximum 16 students