You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
- Saturday Art School
- Portfolio Preparation in Art, Design and...
Portfolio Preparation in Art, Design and Media (Stage 2)
Designed for aspiring art students aged 15–18, this course will prepare them for application to Foundation art and design studies, discover their talent, and explore their current creative understanding.
Please note, new dates for this course will be confirmed in April. If you'd like to be the first to know when this course is available to book, simply click the 'Register Your Interest' button and provide your details.
Delivered in our state-of-the-art studios, on this course students have the unique opportunity to experience life as an AUB student, explore the application process for progression to study a Foundation diploma or equivalent study level and develop a robust and impressive portfolio to help them succeed.
Taught by our vastly experienced staff, students will receive direction and support to enable them to develop and complete a diverse body of art, design and media-focused work through a series of immersive and challenging project briefs, as well as explore and appreciate the approaches and methodologies required for Foundation diploma study.
Students will also receive guidance on interview preparation, techniques and how to self-promote ideas, intentions and ambitions.
We understand how important our next generation of artists are – they've so much potential, untapped abilities, and enthusiasm. On this course they’ll be supported to fully explore their creative talent and future potential as a Foundation Diploma in Art and Design student at AUB.
We encourage our artists to be themselves, and as such we harness budding artists' natural style and flair, therefore enabling them to utilise existing creative interests and acquire new skills in the development of their own unique creative visual language.
It goes without saying, too, that we ensure all our young learners are included, respected, and supported every step of the way on their creative journey with us.
- Developing skills in the fundamentals of visual practice and research
- Conducting workshops in drawing, painting, sketchbook work, conceptual idea development, 3D, life drawing and sculpture
- Working with a range of mixed media
- Exploring a variety of fundamental creative techniques and methods
- Developing observational and expressive drawing techniques
- Developing a sketchbook with records of independent research, idea development and experimental work
- Designing and producing creative work in a range of materials - analyse and respond to the work of historical and contemporary artists and designers
- Continual formative appraisal and critique
- Support in making an application to study at AUB
Claire Flexen is a very passionate tutor who's accumulated 21 years of experience in teaching and lecturing at AUB, predominantly supporting and developing students on the Foundation Diploma in Art and Design. Claire recently completed MA Illustration at AUB and is also a practising Textiles and Surface Pattern Designer and Artist – working out of her small studio in Poole. She's a passionate advocate supporting students on their creative journeys and helping to guide them to their chosen specialism.
- Develop an exciting and innovative portfolio of work in a variety of art and design disciplines
- Help students identify and develop their own visual language and creativity
- Enhance our budding artists' creative skill set and knowledge and to help push their imagination further
- Receive continual formative feedback and critique on all assignments and summative feedback upon completion of the course
- A new understanding of the foundation course environment and feel confident about your decision to apply to AUB
- Increased confidence when talking or writing about your own work
- Improved portfolio with a body of work that reflects your experience of answering project briefs
- Boosted confidence and creativity!
- All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Saturday Art School certificate of attendance
Students should be aged between 15-18 years and be prepared to bring lots of energy and enthusiasm!
All course materials are included in the course fee.