You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
On this exciting course young artists aged 11-14 will learn creative techniques to turn a flat page into a 3D masterpiece.
To book your place today, simply click the 'Book Now' button to be taken to AUB's secure online store, where you can complete your booking. You can also sign up to our newsletter for Saturday Art School updates.
What you need to know
When does it run?
Saturday 20 January – 16 March 2024
How long is the course?
What time will your young artist’s classes be?
Where does it take place?
Classes will take place on AUB's campus.
Your young artist will be taught in AUB's industry-standard studios with access to professional resources.
Who's this course for?
This course has been developed for aspiring artists aged 11-14.
This course is ideal if your young artist wishes to explore future creative options and trends, or if they're thinking about future studies that incorporate digital imaging and post-production methods.
This age range is a guide; please contact us if your young artist is outside this recommended age group and we’ll discuss whether it’s suitable for them. We assess queries like this on a case-by-case basis.
Does my young artist need any qualifications or experience?
No. This is an introductory course, so your young artist doesn't need any previous experience, just buckets of enthusiasm!
I’m not sure if this is suitable for my young artist. Can I speak to someone?
Yes of course! If you'd like to discuss if this course is suitable for your young artist, get in touch with us: email email@example.com or call +44 (0) 1202 363222.
Why should you choose this course?
This course is designed for budding creatives to be curious, playful, and eager to learn more about alternative 3D concepts and how to incorporate this into their artistry.
Your young artist will learn alongside up to 16 other like-minded youngsters, make friends, and have fun along the way.
At the end of the course, your young artist will leave with an increased confidence in their abilities, have a wealth of new skills that they can apply to their everyday life and beyond, and an excitement for future art and design studies.
How much does this course cost?
What's included in this price?
- All course materials and resources
What should you bring to class?
- Everything your young artist will need to take part in the course will be provided by us – no hidden costs!
- Imagination and curiosity to create 3D art
- Original ideas that relate to your young artist's chosen project theme (full details of the project will be provided in the first class)
About this course
This hands-on course gives young artists aged 11-14 the chance to delve into the world of paper manipulation, including pop-up elements, to transform the 2D page to a 3D work of art. Your young artist will develop their skills in ‘drawing with paper’ and explore colour and shape to design a 3D sculptural artist book or a 3D ‘mobile gallery’.
Your young artist will be guided in idea generation and illustration skills to transform their chosen individual story or theme from 2D to a 3D creative wonder.
Through layout experimentation, paper folding and safe paper cutting techniques, your young artist will produce a range of pop-up mechanisms and structural pages that'll perform as an illustrated sculpture when opened.
Our class of budding creators will consider silhouette and shape to bring their pages to life, as well as learn how tabs, slits and flaps can make moving elements in their work with a fun and imaginative twist. Through a combination of demonstrations, guided feedback and individual experimentation, your young artist will feel confident to work and create like a 'paper-sculptor' or an artistic 'book-inventor'.
During the course, your young artist will be introduced to a range of artists’ work for inspiration. Likewise, physical 3D sculptural book examples will be available for your young artist to hold and examine during class-time.
In addition to developing artistic design strategies, we'll encourage our young artists to bring their own curiosities to incorporate into their 3D work – this could include quirky images or unusual findings.
Your young artist will have the chance to select their own personal theme for their 'artist book' or '3D mobile gallery' that they'll work on throughout the course. They'll be guided to experiment and use paper to 'draw' with and illustrate their chosen theme. Each lesson will build upon the previous week, and along the way your young artist will develop their skills and learn how to make elements in the pages slide, turn, bulge and pop-up, making objects emerge with interactive moving parts. The final result may look like a peculiar book, but will materialise into an interactive sculptural ‘artist book’ or ‘3D mobile gallery’ filled with bright imagery and moving parts.
- How to transform the flat page into 3D form, using paper sculpting, paper mechanics, folding techniques, a range of safe paper cutting techniques
- Experiment with and develop techniques to create pop-ups, tabs, flaps, sliders and more to mechanise the page
- 3D card construction techniques
- Drawing with paper
- Idea generation methods
- Illustration approaches
- Explore shape, colour and form
- Create an interactive sculptural 3D artist’s book or 3D ‘mobile gallery’
- Possess improved drawing and artistic techniques
- Be able to visualise and translate their ideas into 3D creations
- Have a broad understanding of the ‘artist book’ and its unlimited visual and interactive possibilities
- Have increased confidence in their own skills
- Have boosted creativity and imagination
- Untap their potential and talent
- Appreciate teamwork and team building ethics
- Be encouraged to experiment and explore their ideas
- Feel inspired by the new skills they've learnt and from sharing ideas with new friends
- Have the foundations to continue creating beyond this course
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course certificate of attendance.
After this course, your young artist could:
- Continue to harness their creativity; explore our full range of Saturday Art School courses to see where their creative journey will take them next
- Look forward to the future and the next step(s) in their creative journey by exploring AUB's Foundation Diploma in Art, Design and Media
- Continue to develop their skills at home as a hobby
- We understand how important young creative artists are – they've so much potential, untapped abilities, and enthusiasm
- Your young artist will study at a leading specialist university – we know what we're doing when it comes to providing unparalleled courses
- We encourage your young artist to be themselves and explore their existing interests; as such we harness their natural style and flair to enable them to develop their unique creative voice
- Our tutors are industry professionals, so they'll learn from the best
- We cater for all abilities and have no formal entry requirements for this course, so there's nothing holding your young artist back
- Your young artist will learn in a safe and encouraging environment where there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- They'll learn 'by doing' and always feel fully included, respected, and supported
- They'll benefit from our incredible campus and its industry-standard studios, and use state-of-the-art equipment and software to unleash their creativity
Meet your tutor
Mechanics of Art gallery
Your young artist will develop a range of new art and design skills and techniques that'll allow them to visualise and develop their ideas from the flat page to 3D masterpieces. Your young artist will explore paper mechanics such as pop-ups, slides, tabs, and flaps to create interactive moving parts and bring their work to life. All projects will unleash your young artist's imagination and allow their voice to shine through.
Important information about evening and weekend courses
Short Courses FAQs - Evening and Weekend and Saturday Art School
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.
Short Courses Booking Terms and Conditions
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking onto our Evening and Weekend courses.
Information about resourcing specialist materials/consumables that you may need to bring these with you