AFTER SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF THIS COURSE, STUDENTS WIlL BE AWARDED THE UAL DIPLOMA IN ART AND DESIGN FOUNDATION STUDIES.
This is a fast-track preparatory course in Art, Design and Media, which includes an integrated programme of preparation for academic study alongside the creative aspects of the course.
Students will develop their creative skills and produce a professional portfolio of work, ready to progress to one of our degree courses within just 24 weeks through direct application.
This course is ideal for students who are unable to commence a one-year Foundation course in September, or those who would like to expand and tailor their portfolio for HE progression whilst gaining valuable academic study skills and improving their English.
Students who need a visa to enter the UK can take advantage of the Short-Term Study visa; this visa allows you to study for up to six months and covers the length of the Intensive Foundation Diploma. The cost of the visa is £97.00. To check if you need to apply for this visa in advance or request entry clearance as a student on arrival, please use this calculator.
6th January 2020 – 19th June 2020
Tuition fee and discounts
|Full fee for paying in instalments (0% discount)||Early payment discount 1st December (10% discount)||Early payment AND Progression discount (10% + 10% discount)|
- Overseas (Non-EU) students who successfully complete this course will obtain a 10% fee reduction each year they are enrolled in one of our BA courses.
- We welcome applications from students from the European Union. EU students are reminded that they may alternatively be entitled to study the one-year Foundation Diploma, starting in September 2019, under the same fee arrangements as UK students. This is not guaranteed and will depend on negotiations between the EU27 and the UK government.
What you'll study
You’ll study full-time for five days a week
Your week will include 3 days of studio practice, I day of skills-based workshops and 1 day of academic development: an integrated module that will help you to understand critical practice, how to structure and write academic essays and present and evaluate work as well as English tuition where appropriate.
Course highlights include:
- Specialist technical workshops across disciplines
- Life Drawing
- Small group tuition
- Preparation for Academic Study
- An intensive and compact course spanning 24 weeks
- A guaranteed place on an undergraduate degree at AUB under our Undergraduate Progression scheme
Watch Our Video
What students are doing
Want to know what it’s like to study on this course? Take a look at the posts below to find out more from our students.
A window into our community...
Staff On The Course
Our lecturers and technicians are experts in their fields. You can find out more about the teaching staff on this course by exploring their profiles below.
Course Leader - Intensive Foundation Diploma (IFD)
Rachael graduated with a first class honours degree in Contemporary Craft from MMU specialising in textiles, ceramics and metals. She has worked and exhibited as a maker, her current practice is informed by her interests in form, process and print and explores repair. Rachael has taught at a number of local colleges and has lectured at AUB since 2002, where she is currently course leader on the Intensive Foundation Diploma course. Rachael has extensive experience of designing, gaining funding...Full profile