Postgraduate coursesAnimation Production


You can find a list of common questions about our MA courses below. To view an answer, simply click on the question.

What is the deadline for applications?

We will accept applications until the 1st August, or while there remain vacancies on the course. Please check with for availability.

However, if you need to arrange accommodation and a visa, you should apply by the end of April. International applicants (non EU) should contact the International office,, in the first instance to discuss.

Is there any financial support available for MA students?

The Government provides a loan for postgraduate MA study. The Postgraduate Loan (PGL) is paid to the student as a contribution towards tuition fees, living costs and other course costs.

You can read more about the MA loan scheme here.

Is there accommodation for MA students?

MA students are able to apply for a place in university accommodation.

The majority of MA students are placed in George Close, which consists of six recently built four-bedroom houses on a small development approximately one mile from the university.

MA students may also wish to find their own privately rented accommodation in the local community, particularly if they have a family. Local landlords advertise available property through the AUB Studentpad website.

What are the terms dates for the MA?

You can find the term dates here.

What support will I receive during my studies?

You are supported by the Course Leader and specialist tutors, depending on your specialism.

It is important to understand that study at this level demands a strong level of autonomy from students. You will determine the nature of your practice through a study plan developed in conjunction with your specialism tutors.

It is your responsibility to fulfil this plan during the course with guided support from your tutors.

There is also a fully staffed Student Services team who can provide students with learning support and access to counselling services.

What is meant by ‘contact time’?

This is the amount of time that you formally engage with tutors (seminars, presentations, critiques or tutorials) throughout the period of the academic programme.

How many hours per week am I expected to dedicate to my MA studies?

The MA Animation Production course is an intensive production course, with units of study that cover Practice, Theory and Professionalism.

Each of the 6 taught units has a weighting that indicates the amount of study time that you are expected to devote to that particular unit, for example a unit of 20 credits =  200 hours study time, and a unit of 60 credits unit = 600 study hours.

As your work on this course mirrors work involved in professional animation production, the hours you work on your productions will probably go beyond this.

Taken across the 12 months, you will need to achieve 180 credits to achieve the award of Master of Arts, which represents a minimum of 1,800 hours of study time.

How will I be assessed?

Your performance will be judged by how well you meet the Learning Outcomes for each unit.

The course uses a range of different assessment methods which include written submissions, verbal presentations, pitches, practice based work and critical analysis and evaluation.

Can I apply to the MA if my BA is in a different discipline?

Yes – if you can demonstrate a high level of knowledge, skills, commitment and interest in Animation.

Applications are welcome from graduates in (for example) Fine Art, Illustration, Graphics, Digital Media and many other areas, not just graduates of BA Animation degrees.

It’ is important to bear in mind that while your skills base may be advanced, an MA course should not be understood as a substitute for a technical training course and is not the place to singularly develop technical skills or competency, say in the use of a particular software programme.

An MA is a Level 7 academic award and is necessarily rigorous in terms of your understanding of research, analysis and critical evaluation. Study may benefit from prior experience in another subject area, certainly, but you should have a passion for and interest in Animation as a field.

Is there a Pre-Masters course?

Students who need to further develop their creative understanding of Animation before being accepted onto the Masters course can join the Preparation programme.

More information can be found on the Pre-Masters Course page. Please note, completion of the Pre-Masters course does not automatically guarantee entry onto the Masters course.

What do I need to do if I am an overseas student?

If you require a visa to study in the UK you will need to apply for a Tier 4 (General) visa, using a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) issued by AUB.

After applying you will receive detailed instructions regarding how to apply for your Tier 4 visa and what documentary evidence you require for your application. For more information, read our step-by-step guide.


If you require a visa, your dependents are able to apply for a dependent visa and accompany you to the UK if your Masters course is 12 months or longer. The MA Film Production course is the only MA course at AUB which meets this criteria.

Your dependents can also apply for a visa if you are a Government Sponsored student and your course is six months or longer.


Before we issue a CAS, which you will require for your visa application, you will need to hold an unconditional offer and have paid a deposit of £1500 towards your fees.

To secure your place on a Masters course you are required to pay the deposit within 2 months of your offer being made.