Postgraduate coursesFilm Production


You can find a list of common questions about our MA courses below. To view an answer, simply click on the question.

What is the deadline for applications?

We will accept applications until the 1st August, or while there remain vacancies on the course. Please check with for availability.

However, if you need to arrange accommodation and a visa, you should apply by the end of April. International applicants (non EU) should contact the International office,, in the first instance to discuss.

Is there any financial support available for MA students?

The Government provides a loan for postgraduate MA study. The Postgraduate Loan (PGL) is paid to the student as a contribution towards tuition fees, living costs and other course costs.

You can read more about the MA loan scheme here.

Is there accommodation for MA students?

MA students are able to apply for a place in university accommodation.

The majority of MA students are placed in George Close, which consists of six recently built four-bedroom houses on a small development approximately one mile from the university.

MA students may also wish to find their own privately rented accommodation in the local community, particularly if they have a family. Local landlords advertise available property through the AUB Studentpad website.

What are the terms dates for the MA?

You can take a look at the term dates here.

Students enrol at the start of October and complete their studies at the end of the January in the second year following entrance and comprises of 60 study weeks.

What support will I receive during my studies?

On enrolment you are ‘attached’ to a particular specialist tutor who will supervise your individual practice and research throughout your MA studies with individual tutorials.

It is important to understand that study at this level demands a strong level of autonomy from students. You will determine the nature of your practice through a study plan developed in conjunction with your specialism tutors.It is your responsibility to fulfil this plan during the course with guided support from your tutors. There is also a fully staffed Student Services team who can provide students with learning support and access to counselling services.

What is meant by ‘contact time’?

This is the amount of time that you formally engage with tutors (seminars, presentations, critiques or tutorials) throughout the period of the academic programme.

How many hours per week am I expected to dedicate to my MA studies?

The MA Film Production course is an intensive hands on production course.

Each of the four taught units has a weighting that indicates the amount of study time that you are expected to devote to that particular unit, for example a unit of 20 credits =  200 hours study time, and a unit of 60 credits unit = 600 study hours.

As your work on this course mirrors work involved in professional film production, the hours you work on your productions will probably go beyond this. Taken across the 15 months the course runs, to achieve the award of Master of Arts, you will need to achieve 180 credits, which represent a minimum of 1800 hours of study time.

How will I be assessed?

Your performance in terms of production and presentation will be judged by how well you meet the Learning Outcomes for each unit.

The course uses a range of different assessment methods which include written submissions, verbal presentations, pitches, practice based work and critical analysis and evaluation.