Adobe Photoshop allows designers, web creators and photographers to produce a huge variety of graphics by manipulating and composing scanned or drawn images, using powerful layering and masking techniques and a wealth of special effect filters.
Your tutors Daniel Butler and John Gridley will guide you through both simple and more advanced techniques of Adobe Photoshop. Whether you are learning the programme for the first time, returning to it, or wish to refine the effectiveness of your techniques and workflow, our course offers a superb and intensive series of workshops, taking you several steps forward in mastering this most powerful and creative of software applications.
Our introductory Adobe Photoshop course will provide you with a comprehensive understanding of the Photoshop interface, as well as an overview of the Photoshop toolset and the use of Adobe Bridge as an organisational tool and Photoshop’s powerful RAW file converter. You will be guided through layer masks, layer blending modes and destructive verses non-destructive techniques.
Each session will cover a specific area, with examples, and will be followed by a practical mini brief to enhance your design and practical skills.
THE COURSE INCLUDES
Exploring retouching techniques, filters, layer effects and steps to prepare an image for end use
Common file formats will be explained, as will techniques for re-touching, and optimizing images for print or the web
Understanding how to work effectively and flexibly with layer masks in the production of montage and image manipulation and how to use filters and layer effects
Autumn term: Tuesday 17th October – 19th December 2017
Spring term: Tuesday 16th January – 20th March 2018
Daniel Butler & John Gridley
The course aims to:
- You will also learn valuable real world hints and tips acquired over years of experience in Adobe Photoshop.
- Cover all main topic areas, as well as best practice principles.
- To provide a set of tasks each session in which to practice and consolidate your understanding. Students are walked through each process to completion.
- Practical – The students are expected, with support from the tutor, to gain independence within each category taught.
Course Outcomes & Assessment
- The goal of this course is to give the student a comprehensive overview, understanding and hands-on experience working with Adobe Photoshop.
- By the end of the course you will have sufficient knowledge to tackle either a photo-imaging project, whether it is a fashion shot for a magazine, or a collection of images for your personal album.
- All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course Certificate of Attendance detailing course contents, and study hours.
This introductory course assumes students possess no previous knowledge and is suitable for beginners, or those with some previous knowledge who wish to improve their understanding.
This course will be of more benefit to you if you have access to a computer with Adobe Photoshop installed, in which to practice your skills between sessions.
All course materials are included in the course fee.