Autumn term: Wednesday 10th October – 12th December 2018
Spring term: Wednesday 16th January – 20th March 2019
10 Wednesday evenings 6-9pm
Adobe After Effects is an industry standard animation, compositing, motion graphics and visual effects application widely used in film, TV and web based applications.
This course is designed for those with a working knowledge of video post-production and still graphic production who wish to add animation, visual effects, colour correction and motion graphic elements to their work.
On the course, you will be introduced to the basics of screen layout and interface, layer based workflow, tool palette and export settings, allowing you to quickly progress to real-world exercises that will familiarise you with the software while building your actual practical skills in these areas.
You will be shown how to integrate your work with the other Adobe packages, enabling you to work in both bitmap and vector formats, as well as how to correctly format work for use in non-Adobe packages.
Each session will cover a specific area, with examples, and will be followed by a practical mini brief to enhance your design and practical skills.
THE COURSE INCLUDES
Animation & Motion Graphics – animating in AE using shapes, utilising bitmaps and vectors, keyframing, animating text and images
Compositing – combining still and moving images to create composite video work, utilising 2.5D to create 3D layers and effects, colour correction, using masks, understanding blending modes and transparency channels
Visual Effects – including chroma-key, digital effects, introduction to motion tracking, stabilization tools and rotoscoping
Pre-formatted and prepared video examples will be provided for use in the projects
The course aims to:
- Theory – The topics of interest, as well as best practice principles, are discussed with the students.
- Demonstration – A set of tasks are given in each session. Students are walked through the process to completion.
- Practical – The students are expected, with support from the tutor, to gain independence within each category taught.
Course Outcomes & Assessment
- The goal of this course is to give the student a comprehensive overview, understanding and hands-on experience working with Adobe After Effects.
- All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course Certificate of Attendance detailing course contents, and study hours.
This introductory course assumes students possess no previous knowledge and is suitable for beginners, or those with some previous knowledge who wish to improve their understanding.
This course will be of more benefit to you if you have access to a computer with Adobe After Effects outside of the class in order to practice your skills between sessions.
All course materials are included in the course fee.