This course will save you many hours of trial and error frustration in building your first custom WordPress site.
WordPress is one of the most popular open source blogging and content management systems in existence today. One of the reasons that it is so popular is due to its user friendliness and flexibility, as well as making it possible for non-technical people to build great looking sites.
It can be used as both a blogging platform and as a content management system, enabling a layperson to be able to update their site whenever they want to. There is also a huge plugin and theme market out there that makes it possible to turn your WordPress site into an e-commerce store with shopping cart or even a portfolio site with gallery.
The style of teaching is progressive with each lesson building on the previous culminating in a mini project where you will get to use what you have been taught during the previous classes to build your first custom WordPress site.
THE COURSE INCLUDES
- Introduction to WordPress
- Hosting Requirements
- Installing theme and demo content
- Site layout – Planning the layout of your site
- Working with pages and posts
- Adding content, using revisions
- Drip feeding blog posts
- Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- How to insert a link
- Users, Author Bio & Tools
- Creating a Navigation Menu & managing comments
- The WordPress Loop
- Working with media elements – images, audio, video
- Post taxonomies – categories & tags
- Determining what cookies your site uses
- Working with themes & plugins
- Working with widgets & shortcode widgets
- Customising your WordPress site – Theme options, custom css, etc.
- Customising admin
- Branding site
- Importing Google fonts
- Working with Custom post types
- Working with page templates, shortcodes & page builder
- Adding Google Maps
- On-page SEO & Blogging
- Image optimisation
- SEO friendly versus optimised
- Improving site speed
- Using social share & follow buttons
- WordPress security
- Ecommerce (optional)
- Adding Calls To Action & Contact Form
- Setting up a newsletter
- Mini Project
- Move WordPress (on request)
Spring term: Tuesday 16th January – 20th March 2018
The course aims to:
- Provide the student with the skills to competently manage a WordPress site
- Enhance the functionality of the site via plugins and widgets
- Work with the selected theme to obtain the desired look
- Have an overall understanding of how WordPress works and hosting requirements
Course Outcomes & Assessment
- Demonstration understanding of topic/s covered in session
- Successful completion of session exercises
- Completion of mini project
- All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course Certificate of Attendance detailing course contents, and study hours
As this is an introductory course, it is assumed that all students have not used WordPress before and so will be starting from the beginning.
All course materials are included in the course fee.