Thursday 3 October-5 December 2019 plus Saturday 26 October 2019
Thursday 23 January-26 March 2020 plus Saturday 29 February 2020
Thursday 23 April-25 June 2020 plus Saturday 30 May 2020
30 Thursday evenings 18.00-21.00
3 Saturday sessions (1 per term) 9.30-16.30
This highly practical course (Level 2 – Accreditation) aims to equip you with all essential design and production skills required for work in the Graphic Design Industry or progression to university. The qualification enables learners to understand and explore the creative possibilities of graphics including both print/publishing based and digital practices.
Through a series of workshops, project-based sessions and demonstrations students will understand how to plan and produce a range of understanding of Graphic Design from learning about typography and it’s application in the design and production of posters, flyers and business cards to creating original artwork for packaging. The tutor will guide you through class exercise and several set projects including working with graphic design briefs, how to research, visualisation skills, planning and applying digital media, advertising and packaging in Graphic Design. A wide range of other essential aspects such as the psychology of type, brand identity, composition, information graphics, campaign planning and digital design for advertising will also be discussed in detail and applied in the students’ projects.
Participants will not only create compositions using words, pictures and colours but also explore professional layout design and create original artwork for publicity materials, corporate identity design and packaging design. You will be expected to enhance your skills in contextual thinking within design and ideas generation. We also look at using software applications including Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign along with other contemporary tools.
This course will help develop an understanding for graphic processes, image and drawing manipulation, materials, research methods, idea generation and participants will plan, produce and present final outcomes which can include photography, reprographic techniques, digital software and font design. Techniques and equipment will be closely aligned to industry working practices in order to fully prepare you for developing as a graphic designer.
The course is suitable for those wishing to hone and expand their knowledge with a focus on creative thinking and visual problem solving, promoting their creativity at a professional, commercial audience. Offering an opportunity to prepare students for progression into employment or for degree level studies this qualification is ideal as a stepping stone for your career.
THE COURSE INCLUDES
- Techniques of developing a creative process
- Variety of research strategies
- Drawing, Illustration and approach of Mixed Media
- Typography and Font Design
- Creating original artwork for publicity materials (posters, flyers, cards)
- Advertising techniques, Corporate and Packaging Design
- How to turn ideas into creative and sophisticated concepts
- Advanced work with Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign techniques
- 3D/2D Visual Communication
- Individual project-based assignments
- Professional presentation skills
The course aims to:
- Enhance your knowledge of all Graphic Design practices
- Develop your understanding of different influences and styles and media
- Give you the opportunity to explore the importance of Graphic Design in Branding, Marketing, Advertising and Packaging
- Foster your capabilities to plan, layout and realise any kind of publicity
- Teach the professional use of Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign
- Enhance your ability to visually communicate your ideas and develop your visual voice
- Provide expert support and enable you to increase your confidence through feedback in discussions with the tutor and the group
- Provide you with the essential skills to move into the professional arena or apply for FE/HE enhanced studies
Course Outcomes & Assessment
Students who complete this 1-year programme and meet the necessary ongoing assessment criteria shall be awarded a ‘Level 2’ Award Body Consortium certificate.
Ideally you would have completed our 10-week ‘Graphic Design – An Introduction’ short course or have equivalent understanding of the subject. Please contact the Short Course team if you wish to clarify if this course is appropriate for you.
You have to be age 19+ to attend this course.
What You Need To Bring
All course materials are included in the course fee.
All additional course materials are included in the course fee.