Monday 5 October – Monday 7 December 2020
Saturday 14 November 2020
Monday 11 January – Monday 15 March 2021
Saturday 27 February 2021
Monday 12 April – Monday 14 June 2021
Saturday 15 March 2021
30 Monday evenings 18.00-21.00
3 Saturday sessions (one per term) 9.30-16.30
This highly practical course (Level 2 Accreditation) aims to equip you with all the essential design and production skills required to be successful in the graphic design industry or to support any design-based study at university level. The course will enable you to understand and explore the creative possibilities of graphics including in print/publishing and digital practices.
Through a series of workshops, project-based sessions and demonstrations students will understand how to plan and produce a range of graphic design projects, from learning about typography application in the design of posters, flyers and business cards to creating original artwork for packaging. The tutor will guide you through exercises and set projects including working with graphic design briefs, how to research, visualisation skills, planning and applying digital media, advertising and packaging in graphic design. Other topics covered in group sessions will include the psychology of type, brand identity, composition, information graphics and campaign planning – this will also be applied to your individual projects.
As well as creating compositions using words, images and colours you’ll also explore professional layout design and explore corporate identity design. You’ll be expected to enhance your skills in contextual thinking within design and ideas generation. Course sessions will also include using software applications such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign along with other contemporary tools.
Participants will plan, produce and present final outcomes which may include photography, reprographic techniques, digital software and font design. Techniques and equipment will be closely aligned to industry working practices in order to fully prepare you for developing as a graphic designer.
The course is suitable for those wishing to hone and expand their design knowledge with a focus on creative thinking and visual problem solving to develop their creativity at a professional, commercial audience or to support degree level studies in design- related subjects.
THE COURSE INCLUDES
- Techniques of developing a creative process
- Variety of research strategies
- Drawing, Illustration and approach of Mixed Media
- Typography and Font Design
- Creating original artwork for publicity materials (posters, flyers, cards)
- Advertising techniques, Corporate and Packaging Design
- How to turn ideas into creative and sophisticated concepts
- Advanced work with Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign techniques
- 3D/2D Visual Communication
- Individual project-based assignments
- Professional presentation skills
The course aims to:
- Enhance your knowledge of all Graphic Design practices
- Develop your understanding of different influences and styles and media
- Give you the opportunity to explore the importance of Graphic Design in Branding, Marketing, Advertising and Packaging
- Foster your capabilities to plan, layout and realise any kind of publicity
- Teach the professional use of Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign
- Enhance your ability to visually communicate your ideas and develop your visual voice
- Provide expert support and enable you to increase your confidence through feedback in discussions with the tutor and the group
- Provide you with the essential skills to move into the professional arena or apply for FE/HE enhanced studies
Course Outcomes & Assessment
Students who complete this 1-year programme and meet the necessary ongoing assessment criteria shall be awarded a ‘Level 2’ Award Body Consortium certificate.
Ideally you would have completed our 10-week ‘Graphic Design – An Introduction’ short course or have equivalent understanding of the subject. Please contact the Short Course team if you wish to clarify if this course is appropriate for you.
The minimum age for this course is 19 years.
What You Need To Bring
All course materials are included in the course fee.
All additional course materials are included in the course fee.