Spring term: Tuesday 21st January – 24th March 2020
10 Tuesday evenings 6-9pm
This fun, hands-on course gives you an insight into the fascinating world of prosthetics and make-up effects through an informative series of demonstrations and practical sessions.
Your tutor, Rosemary Grose, will introduce you to a range of basic materials used in make-up effects. Through sculpting and mould-making procedures, you will learn to create, apply and colour simple wounds and prosthetic noses.
You will be given the opportunity to understand and practice fun techniques such as gelatine burns and old age stipple. The importance of professional practice with respect to set up and break down, as well as safe working procedures will be established. Upon completion of this course you will have acquired an appreciation of the fundamental skills needed in the creation of make-up effects.
THE COURSE INCLUDES
- Wax Casualty Makeup
- Sculpting a Wound
- Flat Piece Moulds
- Sculpting a Prosthetic Nose
- Two Part Closed Moulds
- Casting, Applying and Colouring Prosthetic Appliances
- Gelatine Burns
- Old Age Stipple
- Final Make-Up Application of Student’s Choice
To introduce everyone to, and provide a simple understanding of, the basic materials and processes involved in the creation of particular make-up effects.
Course Outcomes & Assessment
- Upon the completion of this unique course you will have a primary understanding of practical effects and be able to take away moulds to run your own prosthetic pieces in the future
- All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course Certificate of Attendance detailing course contents, and study hours
There are no academic entry requirements, however a keen interest in cinema and an appreciation for special effects will serve well in this course.
What You Need To Bring
Equipment and prosthetic consumables will be available however you will need to bring:
- Make-Up Wipes
- Powder Puffs
- Latex Wedge Sponges
- Cotton Buds
- Cheap Paint Brushes
- Make-Up Brushes
- Sculpting Tools (wooden and metal)
- A Creative Open Mind and a Can-Do Attitude
All additional course materials are included in the course fee.