Spring term: Tuesday 21 January – Tuesday 24 March 2020
10 Tuesday evenings 18.00-21.00
William de Liefde-Foote
An absolute beginner’s introduction to AutoCAD and SketchUp for Interior Design, ideal for students currently studying our ‘1-Year Interior Design Programme’ as well as any of our introductory interior design short courses.
This course is an ideal introduction to using computer programmes for drawing simple plans and 3D representations of spaces for interior design. Through demonstrations, lectures, discussions and hands-on practice you will learn to display your interior design skills in computer aided drawings.
Your tutor will also introduce you to the basic tools and practices in SketchUp (3D Modelling Programme) as follows:
How to use the drawing tools, measuring tool, push/ pull tool, follow me tool, orbit, pan and zoom tools.
How to draw an interior space in 3D, add colours and finishes and then add furniture and accessories.
How to draw a building and add a roof, windows and doors.
This is a good starting point if you have never used these programmes before and would like to give it a try and gain confidence with computer drawing. Have fun learning a new skill and expressing your design ideas.
THE COURSE INCLUDES
- Understanding the toolbars and user interface
- Navigation around your designs on-screen
- How to use the fundamental tools such as line, rectangle, circle, arc, offset, copy, fillet and trim
- Using these tools to draw floor plans, elevations and furniture
- Making blocks to export your work as professional drawings to scale
- Understanding annotation and dimensions
- Modelling your designs in 3D with realistic materials and furniture
The course aims to:
- Provide you with the knowledge to independently use Auto-CAD and SketchUp for interior design projects.
- Enable you to use all of the fundamental software tools to create 2D and 3D drawings and designs.
- Enhance your creativity by showing you another way to communicate your interior design ideas.
- Develop your understanding of annotation, dimensions and scale and how this is used in the software to create accurate drawings and models.
- Provide you with the skills to produce interior design drawings and fully-furnished and decorated 3D models to a professional standard.
Course Outcomes & Assessment
- All students will know how to create 2D drawings in Auto-CAD, such as floor plans and elevations
- All students will know how to model their interior design scheme in 3D in SketchUp
- All students will know how to combine the two programmes by transforming their 2D Auto-CAD drawings into 3D in SketchUp
- All students will understand how to produce and print professional drawings to scale
- All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course Certificate of Attendance detailing course contents, and study hours
This introductory course assumes students possess no previous knowledge and is suitable for beginners, or those students currently studying the ‘1-Year Interior Design Programme’.
All course materials are included in the course fee.