Autumn term: Monday 8th October – 10th December 2018
Including Saturday 10th November 2018
Spring term: Monday 14th January – 18th March 2019
Including Saturday 16th February 2019
9 Monday evenings 6-9pm
1 Saturday session 9.30am-4.30pm
Enter the world of Film Making and gain hands-on experience in writing, filming and editing your own material.
This course is written for potential filmmakers with little or no film making experience. It is an ideal introduction to the reality of film making for people who need to balance their interest with work or other commitments.
Through a series of practical workshops, you will gain hands-on experience in writing, filming and editing your own material. Throughout the course you will cover the essential aspects of film making including: story and script development, planning, shot-lists and storyboarding, directing, lighting and camera work and non-linear editing.
Our team of experienced tutors, Celeste Joy-Engel and Oliver Batchelor, will help you acquire a working understanding of the importance of editing and you will gain an understanding of the language and terminology, cutting styles, continuity editing parameters and editing to music. For one day during the course, you will meet your tutors on location for filming session.
We will harness your enthusiasm and guide you through the exciting experience of making a film.
THE COURSE INCLUDES
- Introduction to Scriptwriting
- Short Film Analysis
- Film Production Roles
- Directing, writing a brief
- Filming session
- Final review
- To produce short film within a group from concept to final edit
- To gain understanding and experience of the full filmmaking process from short film concept to final edit
- A final cut of a short film created during the course giving experience in all aspects of filmmaking
Course Outcomes & Assessment
- Informal assessment will take place through group discussion, classroom activities, and questions and answers sessions as guided by your tutors
- At the end of the course, students will have a clear overview of the industry, its expectations and how to progress within it, along with the necessary understanding to start their filmmaking in earnest
- All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course Certificate of Attendance detailing course contents, and study hours
This introductory course assumes students possess no previous knowledge and is suitable for beginners, or those with some previous experience who wish to improve their understanding.
All course materials are included in the course fee – just bring a good imagination and an open mind!