Spring term: Tuesday 15th January – 19th March 2019
October 2019 – new dates coming soon
10 Tuesday evenings 6-9pm
Taught by Mike Garley, EMMY-nominated script-writer, this intensive course explores all the major elements and craft components of dramatic script writing, from structure to characterisation, dialogue, professional formatting and more.
Before a producer, director or editor can start work on a project, the screenwriter must develop a creative and interesting concept.
Blending the requirement for an engaging narrative with an idea that will work on screen, the art of screenwriting is a unique and challenging one that requires creativity and a thorough understanding of screenwriting and genre conventions.
Each evening, a different area of skill will be studied using presentations and relevant examples. Individual ideas/projects are welcome to be shared for group feedback discussions.
THE COURSE INCLUDES
- Offline resources specific to each week’s lesson. Articles, PowerPoint presentations, sample industry documents etc
- Fun homework assignments to highlight and illustrate the various demands of screenwriting craft
- Honest and practical guide (along with personal insights!) into making it in the industry once the course is finished
The course aims to:
- Enable a writer to go from understanding beginner-style elements to embracing advanced technique in just 10 weeks
- Provide an inspiring and constructive way forward for you and your projects
- Be completely honest and transparent about the realities of the industry. Less ‘dare to dream’, more ‘focus and write’!
- Explore each student’s original voice – discovering where their screenwriting talents best lie!
Course Outcomes & Assessment
- At the end of the course, students will have a clear overview of the industry, its expectations and how to progress within it, along with the necessary tools to write compelling original scripts
- All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course Certificate of Attendance detailing course contents, and study hours
This introductory course assumes students possess no previous knowledge and is suitable for beginners, or those with some previous knowledge who wish to improve their understanding.
What You Need To Bring
A good imagination and an open mind!
All additional course materials are included in the course fee.