Spring term: Tuesday 21 January – Tuesday 24 March 2020
10 Tuesday evenings 18.00-21.00
This course has been developed to offer you a unique introduction into the creative process of professional cutting and construction techniques for leather products.
Aimed at anyone who has an interest in leather accessories and wants to understand the complexities of cut and construction of hide and the tools used to form and fashion.
Through a series of practical demonstrations and assignments to build your knowledge, understanding and proficiency, your tutor Gillian Kelly, will guide you through the specialist processes where you will learn the skills necessary in producing leather goods and accessories.
You will focus on leather accessories starting with a small product to learn the basics and then progressing on to a bespoke bag with a contemporary edge.
You will be using natural cowhide and “butt split” leather for your samples. For your finished contemporary piece, there will be an additional charge for the skin.
THE COURSE INCLUDES
- Pattern Making
- Leather Cutting
- Edge finishing
- Stitching by hand and using industrial sewing machines
- Fasteners and zips
- Finishing and polishing
The course aims to:
- Provide you with more knowledge, skills & confidence cutting and constructing leather products using industrial leather sewing machines and specialist hand tools.
Course Outcomes & Assessment
- Assessment will be continuous throughout
- Students should have attained the necessary skills in which to produce bespoke products to a high standard
- All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course Certificate of Attendance detailing course contents, and study hours
Ideally you will have previous knowledge and experience using sewing machines.
What You Need To Bring
- Paper scissors
- Sketch book
Please note, for your finished contemporary piece, there will be an additional charge for the skin.
All additional course materials are included in the course fee.