If you have completed the ‘Womenswear Top & Skirt’ short course and enjoyed it, you may be thinking, “Where do I go from here?” The ‘Jacket Making Skills’ course is your next step.
This course is for anyone with experienced sewing skills, who would like to learn the fundamental principles of creating a tailored jacket; advanced pattern cutting techniques, suitable fabrication, interfacings, lay planning or pressing and finishings.
It is a practical course that concentrates on the production of a tailored garment and it will offer the specialist skills that are necessary to make a jacket.
Tutor led demonstrations will take you through the different steps of pattern cutting and construction of a fully lined jacket using a combination of hand stitching and machine-sewing skills.
THE COURSE INCLUDES
- Drafting collar & revere pattern
- Methods of production and order of construction
- Dart construction
- Pocket construction
- Collar & revere construction
- Facing application
- Setting in sleeves
- Making and attaching a lining
- Finishing hem
- Pressing and finishing
Spring term: Saturday 20th Jan, 3rd & 17th Feb, 3rd & 17th March 2018
The course aims to:
- Provide you with more knowledge, skills & confidence to work on garments or other personal sewing projects of your own
- Enable you to harness vital skills in more specialist processes involved in producing a much more detailed garment
- Enhance your understanding more advanced pattern cutting and garment construction
Course Outcomes & Assessment
Assessment will be continuous throughout.
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course Certificate of Attendance detailing course contents, and study hours (upon request).
It would be of benefit if you have completed the ‘Womenswear Top & Skirt’ short course or possess equivalent experience in both pattern cutting & garment construction. It is important to note here that having experience in only one of these skills, and not both, will not give you sufficient grounding and experience to be able to complete this course. Prospective students need to have learnt the basics of both pattern cutting and garment construction prior to the start of this course.
Pattern paper and calico for producing the jacket will be supplied during the course.
You may prefer to buy your own fabric for the final jacket, this is to be discussed & bought after course start.
All additional course materials are included in the course fee.
What you need to bring
- Dressmakers pins
- Tape measure
- Paper scissors, fabric scissors, small scissors, snips and quick unpick
- Pencils: 2H, HB or B
- Fabric/cloth marking pencil
- Pen, rubber, pencil sharpener
- A4 folder & plastic sleeves
Please note, jacket fabric & zip, shall be discussed & bought once the course has started.