30 Wednesday evenings 18.00-21.00
3 Saturday sessions (1 per term) 09.30-16.30
This highly practical course (Level 2 – Accreditation) is perfect for students with an avid interest in fashion themes and concept development. This course will teach students how to use visual research to develop a personal design aesthetic leading to the making of original fashion pieces.
Students will examine design icons from the world of fashion and be guided through the process of exploration, research and questioning ideas and processes that lead to original design work Fashion identity and belonging.
This course is ideal for anyone who would like to explore the world of fashion design and begin to realise their own fashion identity. It will give students an insight into what it takes to come up with original design ideas and see them through to final fashion pieces using completely unique fabric print design ideas and fabric decorative techniques.
This Course is ideal for students who have already completed the ‘Womenswear Top & Skirt’ short course, or you may already possess intermediate sewing skills. The course aims to equip students with all essential design and production skills required for work in the Fashion Industry or for progression on to further academic studies. The qualification will enable learners to understand and explore how to design, plan, and make garments along with learning skills such as pattern cutting, fitting and finishing.
Through a series of workshops, project-based sessions and demonstrations students will understand how to plan and produce a range of fashion garments. This Level 2 Course will cover key essential skills for employability within the Fashion Industry, such as: Illustrated Fashion Design, Fabrics and Trimmings, decorative print patterns, pattern cutting and making garments.
The Course Tutor will teach and support you in a creative and friendly environment. You will be taught through practical demonstrations, research and hands-on making. Assessment will be practical and feedback will be given on a regular basis.
Basic materials and equipment will be provided, but you will need to buy your own selected fabrics to make your garments. At the beginning of the course you will be provided with a list of equipment you will need such as: A4 ring binder, sketchbook.
By the end of the Course you will be able to conduct and interpret research to generate fashion design ideas, demonstrate an understanding of the fashion design process through illustrated fashion designs and produce finished fashion products.
THE COURSE INCLUDES
- Introduction and setting the brief
- How to use visual research and inspiration to develop a personal design identity
- How to turn ideas into creative concepts
- Investigating the fashion capitals of the world, European and British style and subculture influences
- Individual project-based assignments
- Professional presentation skills
- Creating Mood boards
- Structure in fashion, pleats, gathers, ruffles and exaggeration
- Colour and fabric combinations, print for fashion design
- Taking the fabric from flat to 3D form
- Making the fashion pieces
- Design themes and creating exciting imagery to support the work
- Finalising garment construction
- Complete all work ready for assessment
- Enhance your knowledge of all Fashion practices
- Develop your understanding of different influences, styles and trends
- Enhance your ability to visually communicate your ideas
- Provide expert support and enable you to increase your confidence through feedback in discussions with the tutor and the group
- Provide you with the essential skills to move into the professional arena or apply for FE/HE enhanced studies
Course Outcomes & Assessment
Students who complete this 1-year programme and meet the necessary ongoing assessment criteria shall be awarded a ‘Level 2’ Award Body Consortium certificate
Ideally you would have completed our 10-week ‘Womenswear Top & Skirt’ short course or have equivalent understanding of the subject. Please contact the Short Course team if you wish to clarify if this course is appropriate for you.
You have to be age 19+ to attend this course.
All additional course materials are included in the course fee.
What to bring