Autumn term: Thursday 11th October – 13th December 2018
Spring term: Thursday 17th January – 21st March 2019
10 Thursday evenings 6-9pm
Whether you are a complete beginner to acting, or an enthusiastic amateur, this 10-week practical workshop will provide you with a sound knowledge and skill base. The course is designed to teach you how to act as a believable character in any medium.
This introductory course has been written to encourage you to learn from your peers and tutor, whilst introducing you to the fundamentals of acting, allowing you to explore your capabilities and realise your potential.
Your tutor Nick Meaney is a graduate of the prestigious American Academy of Dramatic Arts Los Angeles and made his living as an actor in LA with over 100 Film/TV/Commercial & Radio credits including ‘Titanic’, ‘Gone in Sixty Seconds’, ‘Beethoven’s 4th, ‘X-Files’, ‘The Young & the Restless’, etc.
Nick teaches from experience and will guide you through different acting techniques for theatre, television and film as well as relaying the realities of being a working actor and how the “Business” works.
THE COURSE INCLUDES
Emphasis is placed on discovering the psychology and emotional life of everyday characters using skills you already possess but may not consciously put into practice
The fundamentals of character development will be explored through a variety of techniques, enabling you to create a believable, fully developed, three-dimensional character
You will learn how an actor prepares to ‘be’ a character not ‘act’ a character
You will be taught everything an actor needs to know about being a character and all the information required to be believable in a role
You will learn how the industry works from acting to casting to scriptwriting to directing and producing and why it’s called show BUSINESS
After learning the fundamentals, you will move on to very simple scenes (No Shakespeare) and will put the skills you’ve learned into practice in a fun, supportive environment.
The course aims to:
- Provide you with the knowledge to be able to create a believable 3-dimensional character.
- Enable you to confidently apply that knowledge in any acting medium
- Enhance your perspective of what an actor is required to do to be believable whilst discovering and expanding your own self-knowledge
- Develop confidence, empathy and understanding of human behaviour.
Course Outcomes & Assessment
- By the end of the course, you will have developed a basic acting vocabulary and you will feel confident putting your skills into practice. Your perspective of what acting is will have changed and you will view acting in film and TV in a different light.
- All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course Certificate of Attendance detailing course contents, and study hours.
As this is an introductory course, available to everyone, all we require is a desire to learn and develop your skills.
What You Need To Bring
An open mind and a sense of humour.
Please ensure that you wear comfortable, practical clothing and footwear.
All additional course materials are included in the course fee.