Spring term: Tuesday 28 January – 31 March 2020
10 Tuesday evenings 18.00-21.00
We offer you the opportunity to join a unique and fascinating course delivered by Takara Dancy, freelance model maker and sculptor for numerous national companies and has a varied collection of skills including sculpting, CAD modelling, 3D printing, moulding and casting.
The course offers you the opportunity to discover many aspects of basic creature design and maquette fabrication, it will take you down an interesting and immersive route helping to introduce and improve your skills as an independent thinker and designer.
Takara will use her unrivalled technical skills and industry knowledge, to take you through a series of intense but light-hearted evening classes introducing the whole process from design to realisation.
The course will be interspersed with thought provoking talks on the history of creature design and the use of our world as inspiration, which will help you to develop and gain valuable industry insight.
Your tutor will give demonstrations into armature making, blocking out your sculpture, posing your creature, painting and many other techniques.
Alongside these demonstrations you will begin to develop your own designs, supervised by Takara Dancy you will have on the spot guidance in all areas of the process.
THE COURSE INCLUDES
- Creature design elements
- Armature making
- Final painting & finishing
To provide an in-depth understanding of the specialist materials and processes involved in the creation of creature design, development and completion.
Course Outcomes & Assessment
- Your tutor will set mid-week assignments for research and to complete your designs in preparation for practical class exercises
- Upon the completion of this unique course you will have a primary understanding of special effects and creature design fabrication to create your own masterpieces in the future
- All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course Certificate of Attendance detailing course contents, and study hours
There are no academic entry requirements, however a keen interest fantasy creature and special effects is desired.
What You Need To Bring
Equipment and the majority of consumables will be available however you will need to bring:
- Sculpting tools (Such as dental tools)
- Spherical Glass objects (to be used as eye forms)
- A camera to record the process of your work in stages
(N.B. Your tutor shall discuss these items with you on your first session)
All additional course materials are included in the course fee.