You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
This practical course is available to study in either our spring or autumn term. Check out the term dates and different course options below.
Tuesday 4 October – Tuesday 6 December 2022
Duration and times
10 Tuesdays 18.00–21.00
Tuesday 17 January – Tuesday 21 March 2023
Duration and times
10 Tuesdays 18.00–21.00
This course has been revamped for autumn 2022 with new tutor Sam Rose at the helm. The course structure and content has been dramatically revised to offer you a more in-depth and exploratory look at creative photography. You’ll be challenged in new ways to enhance your existing skills and the studio sessions will be more hands-on than ever before.
In this intermediate course you’ll be expertly guided by your tutor to explore a wide range of photographic techniques, practices and more over 10 weeks of enjoyable and challenging creative photography. You’ll take your image-making to a new level, develop your skills, and explore where you might want to take the art form in the future.
In the tradition of ‘Bake Off’ and ‘Sewing Bee’ – but without the eliminations! – each week you’ll delve into a different aspect of the profession which aims to help you to explore it in your own way. You’ll use our state-of-the-art studios and dedicated learning spaces and experience shooting outside on-location, either on or off-campus, to experiment with different approaches.
The course involves a range of approaches, including learning from famous photographers, ‘reading’ of photos, group and individual critiques of your photography, mini-workshops with professionals, projects, and demonstrations. However, the emphasis will be on practical work, helping you to explore areas that work for you; individually and as a group.
We expect you to know your camera’s functionality to a reasonable degree, and highly recommend you've already completed the Digital Photography – Essential Techniques introductory course, but there’ll be a chance to recap the basics if needed as well as the opportunity to look at workflow functionality with Adobe Lightroom.
Above all else, to get the most out of this course you must have a passion for photography, the desire to learn, a drive for creativity and a sense of fun.
- Extended understanding of camera controls and advanced features
- Exploring photographic practices and genres
- Benefits of ancillary equipment, such as, speedlights and portable flash
- Post-production options and applications
- Individual and group project based assignments
- Outside on-location shooting, either on or off campus
- 'Reading' photos
- Mini-workshops with professionals
- Studying famous photographers and their techniques
The course aims to:
- Provide you with more knowledge, skills and confidence
- Develop your understanding and enhance creative control
- Enhance your technical skills
- Develop a deeper appreciation of photography
- Explore where you might want to take the art form in the future
- Tutorials and ongoing course critique will offer you essential guidance and measure overall performance
- All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course certificate of attendance. To request your certificate email the team at email@example.com
Students must must have a passion for photography, the desire to learn, a drive for creativity, and a sense of fun.
We expect you to know your camera’s functionality to a reasonable degree, and highly recommend you've already completed the Digital Photography – Essential Techniques introductory course, but there’ll be a chance to recap the basics if needed.
Suitable for photographers aged 18+.
- A digital camera with manual controls
- Any accompanying equipment that you wish to use
All additional course materials provided as part of the course fee.
Important information about evening and weekend courses
How to Enrol
Looking to book onto one of our Evening and Saturday courses? You’ll find everything you need to book your place here.
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.
Short Courses Booking Terms and Conditions
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking onto our Evening and Weekend courses.