You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
Have you ever wanted to try your hand shooting in a professional studio, making powerful portraits, creating still life masterpieces, or composing striking night-time images? Then read on...
To book your place today, simply click the 'Book Now' button to be taken to AUB's secure online store, where you can complete your booking. You can also sign up to our newsletter for short course updates.
What you need to know
When does it run?
You can study this course in either the autumn or spring term. Choose your preferred term when booking.
Autumn term 2023
Tuesday 3 October – 12 December 2023
Please note that there'll be no session on 24th October
Spring term 2024
Tuesday 16 January – 19 March 2024
How long is the course?
What time will your classes be?
Where does it take place?
Classes will take place on AUB's campus
You'll be taught in AUB's industry-standard studios with access to professional resources.
Who's this course suitable for?
This course has been developed for creatives and aspiring photographers aged 18+.
Perfect for anyone who already possesses a good understanding of photography or has completed our Digital Photography – Essential Techniques (Stage 1) and has a passion to develop their photography further.
Do you need previous experience or qualifications?
This is an intermediate course, so you must be proficient using your camera and have previous photography experience to benefit.
If you'd like to discuss if this course is suitable for you, get in touch with us: firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0) 1202 363222.
How much does this course cost?
What's included in this price?
All course materials and resources except your camera.
Are there additional costs?
You'll need to provide your own camera. This'll incur an additional cost if you need to purchase one for the course. See below.
What should you bring to class?
- A digital camera with access to full manual controls; this should be a DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex) camera or a Bridge camera
- A camera tripod is useful, but not essential if you don't have one
- USB or other memory drive; you'll need to upload and backup your photos between classes, so you'll need access to a computer
- Any accompanying photography equipment that you may wish to use
Why should you choose this course?
- Except your camera, all tools and materials are included in your course fee
- Come away with enhanced knowledge, skills, and confidence to create beautiful photographs bursting with creativity
- Learn a wide range of advanced photography techniques to elevate your images
- Develop your technical skills and unique creative voice
- Receive expert support and guidance from your industry professional tutor at every turn
- Leave with increased confidence and the skills to continue creating beyond the course
- Study in an encouraging and friendly setting alongside 16 like-minded creatives
About this course
This intermediate photography course is ideal for anyone who already has some previous knowledge of digital photography and knows how to use their camera in full manual mode. On this course you'll explore more advanced camera functions, flash, elements of informed composition and various creative techniques.
You may have already completed Digital Photography – Essential Techniques (Stage 1) and wish to build on your skills or have the existing knowledge to start your studies at this intermediate level.
Learning in our modern, dedicated specialist resource areas, you’ll be expertly led by your tutor and have exciting opportunities to experiment and develop your photographic skills and creative visual voice.
You'll focus on a variety of areas of photography and your industry-experienced tutor will share with you a different aspect of photographic practice each week. Areas covered will include: camera functions, equipment, colour and workflow management, studio lighting, portraiture and still life photography. You'll also be encouraged to use your newly acquired knowledge and skills to develop your own photographic style and creative ideas.
You'll begin to appreciate the controlled environment that photographers use. You'll have access to various lighting and portable flash equipment, as well as other photographic equipment. You'll also be introduced to image post-production platforms such as Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Lightroom.
Demonstrations will explain how to get the best from your photographic and imaging equipment, whilst there’ll be ample opportunities to discuss your images and techniques with fellow student photographers.
Project-based workshops will be followed by informal critique to help you evaluate your work and look at further study opportunities or professional practice routes.
- Explore camera controls and advanced features
- Different photographic practices and genres
- Benefits of ancillary equipment, such as speedlights and portable flash
- Post-production options and applications
- Individual and group project-based assignments
- Possess a comprehensive understanding of your camera's advanced controls and how to use them efficiently and effectively to achieve stunning, creative images
- Understand a wide range of photographic genres and practices
- Possess the technical skills to employ ancillary equipment, such as portable flash, effectively and efficiently
- Have an insight into professional practice routes or further study options
- Be able to edit your images using post-production software with confidence
- Have increased confidence in your own skills and feel inspired
- Have boosted creativity and imagination
- Be encouraged to experiment and explore your ideas, remembering that there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- Possess the foundations to continue creating beyond this course
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course certificate of attendance.
After this course, you could:
- Continue to harness your creativity and develop your photography skills further; explore our full range of Photography short courses
- Broaden your creative horizons and try your hand at a range of disciplines; explore our full range of evening and weekend courses
- Continue to develop your skills at home as a hobby
- You'll study at a leading specialist university – we know what we're doing when it comes to providing unparalleled courses
- Our tutors are industry professionals, so you'll learn from the best
- We cater for all abilities and have no formal entry requirements for this course, so there's nothing holding you back
- You'll learn in a safe and encouraging environment where there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- You'll learn 'by doing' and always feel fully included and supported
- Benefit from our incredible campus and its industry-standard studios, and use state-of-the-art equipment and software to unleash your creativity
Meet your tutor
Creative photography gallery
On this course, you'll develop a range of new skills and advanced techniques to enable you to take beautiful photographs confidently and effectively that convey your unique creative voice. You'll undertake both group and individual projects, all of which will unleash your creativity.
Creative photography classes in action
The sessions on this course will take place in AUB's dedicated photography studios and editing suites, with the aim of replicating a professional working photography studio. You'll undertake a range of different shoots to practice your new technical skills and practice with ancillary equipment, such as speedlights and portable flash.
Important information about evening and weekend courses
Short Courses FAQs - Evening and Weekend and Saturday Art School
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.
Short Courses Booking Terms and Conditions
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking onto our Evening and Weekend courses.
Information about resourcing specialist materials/consumables that you may need to bring these with you