You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
- Evening and weekend courses
- Make-up and Prosthetics SFX
- Special Effects Make-Up – An Introductio...
Special Effects Make-Up – An Introduction
This immersive, hands-on course gives you an insight into the fascinating world of prosthetics and special make-up effects through an informative series of demonstrations and practical sessions.
Please note, new dates for this course will be confirmed in April. If you'd like to be the first to know when this course is available to book, simply click the 'Register Your Interest' button and provide your details.
This immersive, hands-on course gives you an insight into the fascinating world of prosthetics and special make-up effects through an informative series of demonstrations and practical sessions. Your tutor, Mikki Dashwood, will introduce you to a range of basic materials used in the make-up effects industry.
Through sculpting and mould-making procedures, you'll learn to design, create and apply both casualty and fantasy effects make-up. You'll be given the opportunity to understand and practice additional techniques such as hair punching and gelatine burns.
The importance of professional practice with respect to set up and break down, as well as safe working procedures will be established. Upon completion of this course you'll have acquired an appreciation of the fundamental skills needed in the creation of make-up special effects.
- Hair punching
- Sculpting a flat piece
- Flat piece moulds
- Sculpting a prosthetic nose
- Two part closed moulds
- Casting, applying and colouring prosthetic appliances
- Gelatine burns
- Final make-up application of your choice
Mikki Dashwood is an AUB alumni from the BA (Hons) Make-up for Media and Performance course and has worked with the university on many occasions supporting Short Courses and Saturday Art School. Her make-up journey started with this very course back in 2015 which she studied alongside her Foundation Degree. Mikki is most passionate about prosthetics and casualty effects which she specialised in as part of her degree and led her to work on a number of short films and collaboration projects. She looks forward to meeting new students and sharing her knowledge with them.
- Provide a simple understanding of the basic materials and processes involved in the creation of particular make-up effects.
- Introduce you to the basic materials and processes involved in the creation of prosthetic make-up
- Give you the confidence to apply effects to your models
- Upon the completion of this unique course you'll have a fundamental understanding of practical effects and the skills required to carry them out
- You'll have the confidence to apply effects and take away moulds to run your own prosthetic pieces in the future
- All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course certificate of attendance. To request your certificate get in touch with the course team at firstname.lastname@example.org
There are no academic entry requirements, however a keen interest in cinema and an appreciation for special effects is beneficial. Suitable for creatives aged 18+.
Equipment and prosthetic consumables will be available however you will need to bring:
- Make-up wipes
- Latex wedge sponges
- Cotton buds
- Cheap paintbrushes
- Make-up brushes
- Sculpting tools (wooden and metal)
- A creative open mind
- Reference Images of what you would like to create
All additional course materials are included in the course fee.
Important information about evening and weekend courses
How to Enrol
Looking to book onto one of our Evening and Saturday courses? You’ll find everything you need to book your place here.
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.
Short Courses Booking Terms and Conditions
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking onto our Evening and Weekend courses.
Information about resourcing specialist materials/consumables that you may need to bring these with you