You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
What you need to know
When does it run?
Tuesday 4 April – Tuesday 6 June 2023
How long is the course?
Every Tuesday for 10 weeks
What time will your classes be?
Where does it take place?
Classes will take place on AUB's campus
You'll be taught in AUB's industry-standard studios with access to professional resources.
Who's this course suitable for?
This course has been developed for creatives and aspiring calligraphists aged 18+.
Perfect for anyone who's interested in hands-on creativity, has a passion for stationery, or an interest in typography.
It's suitable if you're a beginner or if you've some previous experience with calligraphy and decorative penmanship and wish to develop your skills further.
Do you need previous experience or qualifications?
This is an introductory course, so no previous knowledge or experience is required.
If you'd like to discuss if this course is suitable for you, get in touch with us: firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0) 1202 363222.
How much does this course cost?
What's included in this price?
All course materials and resources
Are there additional costs?
There are no additional costs for this course; all equipment and materials will be provided by AUB.
What should you bring to class?
- A passion for creativity and a desire to learn alongside like-minded people
- Optional: any personal projects that you wish to advance
Why should you choose this course?
- All tools and materials are included in your course fee – no hidden costs!
- Come away with enhanced knowledge, skills, and confidence to create beautiful words in a modern calligraphy style
- Learn a wide range of calligraphy techniques
- Experience using a variety of calligraphy and lettering tools
- Embrace your originality and innovation
- Receive expert support and guidance from your industry professional tutor at every turn
- Leave with increased confidence and the skills to continue creating beyond the course
- Study in an encouraging and friendly setting alongside 12 like-minded creatives
About this course
This special summer short course gives you the chance to learn and develop skills needed to produce beautiful calligraphy and decorative penmanship. Through a series of practical demonstrations and exciting projects, you'll build up your knowledge, understanding, and proficiency in hand-drawn typography techniques, to produce beautifully crafted bespoke work.
Delivered by specialist tutor, Milly Withers, you'll be introduced and guided through the specialist processes and learn the essential skills necessary to create beautiful letters and words in a modern calligraphy style, using a variety of different mediums and materials.
During the course, you'll focus on learning the fundamentals of modern calligraphy using a brush pen through a series of worksheets and demonstrations, then progress on to smaller projects where you'll have the chance to explore different tools used for calligraphy and hand lettering.
Sessions will include a range of exciting practical exercises, sharing examples, and examining genres to assist, support and help build your knowledge. You'll have the opportunity to frame several pieces for display purposes, and to continue creating beyond the course.
- Basics of modern calligraphy
- Brush pen calligraphy
- Dip pen calligraphy
- Watercolour calligraphy
- Exploring unusual surfaces
- Possess the skills needed to create stunning penmanship in a range of different mediums
- Understand a range of processes related to hand-drawn calligraphy and lettering, and have the confidence to execute them effectively
- Have hands-on experience using specialist calligraphy equipment
- Have increased confidence in your own skills and feel inspired
- Have boosted creativity and imagination
- Be encouraged to experiment and explore your ideas, remembering that there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- Possess the foundations to continue creating beyond this course
- Leave with a range of beautiful pieces designed and created by you
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course certificate of attendance.
After this course, you could:
- Continue to harness your creativity and develop your metal crafting skills further; explore our full range of Visual Communication short courses
- Broaden your creative horizons and try your hand at a range of disciplines; explore our full range of evening and weekend courses
- Continue to develop your skills at home as a hobby
- You'll study at a leading specialist university – we know what we're doing when it comes to providing unparalleled courses
- Our tutors are industry professionals, so you'll learn from the best
- We cater for all abilities and have no formal entry requirements for this course, so there's nothing holding you back
- You'll learn in a safe and encouraging environment where there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- You'll learn 'by doing' and always feel fully included and supported
- Benefit from our incredible campus and its industry-standard studios, and use state-of-the-art equipment and software to unleash your creativity
Meet your tutor
Modern calligraphy and hand lettering gallery
On this course you'll develop a range of new design skills and practical techniques to enable you to create calligraphy confidently and effectively. You'll master working with a variety of different mediums, including brush pens, dip pens and watercolours. All projects will unleash your creativity and allow your voice to shine through.
Important information about evening and weekend courses
How to Enrol
Looking to book onto one of our Evening and Saturday courses? You’ll find everything you need to book your place here.
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.
Short Courses Booking Terms and Conditions
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking onto our Evening and Weekend courses.