You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
- Evening and weekend courses
- Art, Design, Drawing and Painting
- Art, Design and Creative Studies (SEG Le...
Art, Design and Creative Studies (SEG Level 2 Award, 16-18yrs)
This 30-week course gives budding artists aged 16-18 the chance to achieve a nationally accredited level 2 qualification, equivalent to GCSE, in art and design.
To book your place today, simply click the 'Book Now' button to be taken to AUB's secure online store, where you can complete your booking.
What you need to know
When does it run?
You'll study at AUB for 30 weeks, split across three terms. Each term will consist of 10 evening classes on Tuesdays 17.30-20.30, and one Saturday session 09.00-16.00.
You'll receive a total of 108 taught hours from your tutor. Outside of this, you must be prepared to carry out some additional activities at home in your own time; however, this won't be too time-consuming.
|Term||Tuesdays (17.30-20.30)||Saturdays (09.00-16.00)|
3 October – 5 December 2023
11 November 2023
16 January – 19 March 2024
3 February 2024
26 March – 28 May 2024
13 April 2024
Where does it take place?
Classes will take place on AUB's campus
You'll be taught in AUB's industry-standard studios with access to professional resources.
Who's this course for?
This course has been developed for aspiring artists aged 16-18yrs. You must be aged 16-18 at the start of the course in October 2023.
You don't need any previous creative experience, but some previous experience in any creative field is desirable.
If you'd like to discuss your eligibility for this course get in touch with us: email@example.com or +44 (0) 1202 363222.
Why should you choose this course?
This course has been specifically designed to provide and equip students aged 16-18 with the necessary knowledge, skills, tools, and overall principles to develop their personal creativity in art, design, and creative studies.
You'll learn alongside up to 16 other like-minded artists, make friends, and have fun along the way.
At the end of the course, you'll have an increased confidence in your abilities, have a wealth of new skills that you can apply to your everyday life and beyond, and an excitement for future art and design studies.
The course is equivalent to GCSE and will offer the same opportunities for progression to AUB's Foundation Diploma in Art and Design.
Often, students choose to study a level 2 certificate over a GCSE or IGCSE because there's no exam to attend. Instead, coursework is assessed continuously throughout the programme by the tutor, who will guide and support our students every step of the way. This means the course is ideal for students who experience exam stress or find it challenging to work under pressure.
How much does this course cost?
What's included in this price?
- All course materials and resources
- Access to AUB's industry-standard resources
What should you bring to class?
- Everything you'll need to take part in the course will be provided – no hidden costs!
- Drinks and snacks if required during class, plus you'll need to bring a packed lunch with you to the Saturday classes
- Come prepared to get messy – classes will be practical
About this course
This new, exciting, immersive and practically focused Skills Education Group (Level 2) accredited course is a fun beginner to intermediate art and design course, offering creative students the opportunity to achieve a nationally accredited (GCSE equivalent) course.
If you're aged 16-18, then this course has been developed specifically for you. It'll provide and equip you with the necessary knowledge, skills, tools, and overall principles to develop your personal voice in art, design, and creative studies.
Suitable for beginners and intermediate artists, you won't just develop your creative skills and knowledge but also your confidence in developing your interests and express your ideas in an artistic fashion.
Get in touch with us via firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0) 1202 363222 if you'd like to apply but wish to discuss your eligibility or would like more details about this course.
Through a series of practical workshops, project-based sessions, and demonstrations you'll understand how to plan, produce and successfully complete a range of art and design projects.
Expertly led by Alison Board, an AUB specialist creative arts tutor, you'll develop your investigative skills and research techniques to give your creative projects a thorough and informative underpinning. You'll be guided to apply research techniques into contemporary, historical, and cultural contexts and record your activities.
You'll have the chance to experiment and hone your skills in a wide range of art and design media, including paint, pencil, charcoal, pastel, ink, screen printing, chalk and more. Likewise, you'll experiment with a selection of different mediums, such as print making and sculpture. In doing so, you'll learn how to effectively use each media and medium whilst developing your skills and techniques.
After you've completed a series of experimentation sessions, you'll choose specific areas of art and design mediums to specialise in. You'll develop an understanding of both the visual and formal elements relating to your chosen art and design discipline.
The format of the course comprises of four main units, where you'll be provided a choice of project assignments in which to successfully evidence and complete these units for assessment.
You'll receive ongoing assessment and be provided feedback throughout the course, so you'll always know how your knowledge, skills and assignment work is advancing and progressing, to ensure you not only meet, but exceed the desired learning outcomes.
- Techniques of developing a creative process
- Exploration of a wide range of different art and design mediums, media, and styles
- Appropriate and effective use of art and design tools
- Variety of research strategies
- How to turn ideas into creative and sophisticated concepts
- 2D and 3D visual communication
- Individual project-based assignments to meet the four unit assessment criteria
- Professional presentation skills
- Develop an understanding of the formal elements relating to a chosen art and design discipline
- Develop and broaden practical and technical skills, encouraging creative potential
- Enhance your knowledge of a wide range of art and design practices
- Develop your understanding of different influences and styles and media
- Encourage you to investigate information and develop research techniques
- Develop the ability to apply media appropriate to your intentions
- Develop your understanding of different mediums and associated tools and how to use them effectively and safely
- Recognise and apply visual language and formal elements within production techniques
- Develop your ability to work to a set brief and develop suitable ideas and bodies of work in response
- Enhance your ability to visually communicate your ideas and develop your visual voice
- Build a credible portfolio of completed creative artwork
- Gain the essential skills to progress your studies and apply to AUB's Foundation Diploma in Art and Design
If you successfully complete this course, you'll receive a Skills Education Group (SEG) Level 2 Award. Additionally, you'll be issued with an official AUB Short Course certificate if you attain 100% course attendance.
After this course, you could:
- Continue to harness your creativity; explore our full range of Saturday Art School courses to see where your creative journey will take you next
- Explore further options and broaden your creative horizons with our evening and weekend courses (for students aged 18yrs+)
- Consider your next creative steps and explore options to study a Foundation Diploma in Art and Design
- Continue to develop your skills at home as a hobby
- You'll study at a leading specialist university – we know what we're doing when it comes to providing unparalleled courses
- Our tutors are industry professionals, so you'll learn from the best
- We cater for all abilities and have no formal entry requirements for this course, so there's nothing holding you back
- You'll learn in a safe and encouraging environment where there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- You'll benefit from our incredible campus and its industry-standard studios, plus use state-of-the-art equipment and software to unleash their creativity
Meet your tutor
Alison is a highly talented, creative artist and dedicated educator, whose many diverse talents include dance, performance, and fine art.
Work from our students
Check out the below gallery for a taste of the kind of work you'll undertake on this course. You'll practise and develop your skills across 30 weeks, experimenting with and learning a variety techniques to broaden your creative horizons and make you a well-rounded artist. You'll develop your understanding of different mediums, medias and associated tools and how to use them effectively and safely, including paint, pencil, charcoal, pastel, ink, screen-printing, chalk, sculpture and more. At the end of this course you'll be well-prepared to tackle the next step in your creative, academic journey.
Your classes will take place across AUB's campus and use our industry-standard studio spaces and professional resources. You'll learn in a relaxed and encouraging environment where there's no right or wrong way to be creative, and will be expertly led and supported by your tutor at every turn.
Important information about evening and weekend courses
Information about resourcing specialist materials/consumables that you may need to bring these with you
How to Enrol
Looking to book onto one of our Evening and Saturday courses? You’ll find everything you need to book your place here.
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.
Short Courses Booking Terms and Conditions
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking onto our Evening and Weekend courses.