You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
What you need to know
When does it run?
Tuesday 3 October – 5 December 2023
How long is the course?
10 Tuesday evenings
What time will your classes be?
Where does it take place?
Classes will take place on AUB's campus.
You'll be taught in AUB's industry-standard studios with access to professional resources.
Please note: it’s a mandatory requirement that you attend the sewing workroom machinery induction in the first session of the course in order to fulfil the university Health and Safety policy.
Who's this course suitable for?
This course has been developed for creatives and aspiring fashion designers aged 18+.
Perfect for anyone who has a passion to learn about leathercraft and develop their fashion or accessory design skills.
It's suitable if you're a beginner or if you've some previous experience with leathercraft and wish to develop your skills further.
Do you need previous experience or qualifications?
This is an introductory course, so no previous knowledge of leathercraft or experience is required.
Ideally, you'll have previous knowledge and experience using sewing machines.
If you'd like to discuss if this course is suitable for you, get in touch with us: email@example.com or +44 (0) 1202 363222.
How much does this course cost?
What's included in this price?
Any additional materials and resources not listed in the 'what to bring' section below.
Are there any additional costs?
Please be aware you'll need to bring some drawing equipment with you. This may incur an additional cost on top of your course fee if you need to purchase any equipment. Refer to the 'what to bring' section below for full details.
You'll be required to purchase the leather for your final contemporary piece; this will incur an additional cost though projects can be tailored to suit all budgets.
What should you bring to class?
- Paper scissors
Why should you choose this course?
- Improve your creative design abilities
- Come away with enhanced knowledge, skills, and confidence to create your own leathercraft accessories
- Learn how to use specialist tools required for leathercraft, including industrial leather sewing machines and specialist hand tools
- Develop a range of new specialist skills needed to work with leather
- Develop your technical skills and unique creative voice
- Receive expert support and guidance from your industry professional tutor at every turn
- Leave with increased confidence and the skills to continue creating beyond the course
- Study in an encouraging and friendly setting alongside 12 like-minded creatives
About this course
This highly practical 10-week course has been developed to offer a unique introduction into the creative process of professional cutting and construction techniques for leather products. It's perfect for anyone who has an interest in leather accessories and wants to understand the complexities of cut and explore the tools used to form and fashion this unique material.
Through a series of practical demonstrations and assignments to build your knowledge, understanding and proficiency, you’ll be expertly guided through the specialist processes required to work with leather. You’ll learn and hone the skills necessary to produce leather goods and accessories.
You'll focus on leather accessories, starting with a small product to learn the basics, and then progress on to a bespoke bag with a contemporary edge.
Sessions will also include pattern making, stitching by hand and finishes that can be used on your leather creations. You'll be using natural cowhide and “butt split” leather for your samples.
- Pattern making
- Leather cutting
- Edge finishing
- Stitching by hand and using an industrial sewing machine
- Fasteners and zips
- Finishing and polishing
- Be able to design and create your own leather goods and accessories with confidence
- Have a comprehensive understanding of the processes needed to work with leather
- Be knowledgeable and skilled in a variety of different specialist techniques required to make leather goods
- Understand how to make patterns and cut leather
- Be able to apply a range of finishes to the leather to create your finished product
- Have increased confidence in your own skills and feel inspired
- Have boosted creativity and imagination
- Be encouraged to experiment and explore your ideas, remembering that there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- Possess the foundations to continue creating beyond this course
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course certificate of attendance. To request your certificate contact the short courses team: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01202 363222.
After this course, you could:
- Continue to harness your creativity and develop your skills further; explore our full range of Fashion, Textiles and Accessories short courses
- Broaden your creative horizons and try your hand at a range of disciplines; explore our full range of evening and weekend courses
- Continue to develop your skills at home as a hobby
- You'll study at a leading specialist university – we know what we're doing when it comes to providing unparalleled courses
- Our tutors are industry professionals, so you'll learn from the best
- We cater for all abilities and have no formal entry requirements for this course, so there's nothing holding you back
- You'll learn in a safe and encouraging environment where there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- You'll learn 'by doing' and always feel fully included and supported
- Benefit from our incredible campus and its industry-standard studios, and use state-of-the-art equipment and software to unleash your creativity
Meet your tutors
Technician Demonstrator Gill Kelly has had a varied career in fashion over many years working for different companies in pattern cutting...
Specialising in digital pattern cutting and virtual prototyping within menswear, Kristian has been working on the BA (Hons) Fashion...
Important information about evening and weekend courses
Information about resourcing specialist materials/consumables that you may need to bring these with you
How to Enrol
Looking to book onto one of our Evening and Saturday courses? You’ll find everything you need to book your place here.
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.