You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
In this hands-on 10-week course, you'll have the chance to develop the essential skills needed to produce 3D sculpture using air-drying clay.
To book your place today, simply click the 'Book Now' button to be taken to AUB's secure online store, where you can complete your booking. You can also sign up to our newsletter for short course updates.
What you need to know
When does it run?
Tuesday 16 January – 19 March 2024
How long is the course?
10 Tuesday evenings
What time will your classes be?
Where does it take place?
Classes will take place on AUB's campus.
You'll be taught in AUB's industry-standard studios with access to professional resources.
Who's this course suitable for?
This course has been developed for budding artists and makers aged 18+.
Perfect for anyone who's interested in hands-on creativity, has a passion for working in 3D materials or wants to explore the world of sculpting.
It's suitable if you're a beginner or if you have some previous experience with sculpting or clay work and wish to develop your skills further.
Do you need previous experience or qualifications?
This is an introductory course, so no previous knowledge or experience is required.
If you'd like to discuss if this course is suitable for you, get in touch with us: email@example.com or +44 (0) 1202 363222.
How much does this course cost?
What's included in this price?
- Basic sculpting tools
- All other course materials and resources
Are there additional costs?
It's recommended that you invest in your own sculpting equipment, which may incur an additional cost.
If you wish to buy your own sculpting tools, your tutor will provide further information about doing this in your first class.
What should you bring to class?
- Notebook and pen/pencil to jot down ideas and information
- Classes are practical, so wear clothes that you don't mind getting messy or bring an apron
- Flat, closed-toe shoes
- Glasses (if you need them for close-up work)
- Hairband (if you have long hair)
Why should you choose this course?
- All basic tools and materials are included in your course fee – no hidden costs!
- Come away with enhanced knowledge, skills, and confidence to create lifelike 3D sculptures from clay
- Improve your observation skills
- Learn a wide range of sculpting techniques
- Experience using a variety of sculpting tools
- Embrace your originality and innovation
- Receive expert support and guidance from your industry professional tutor at every turn
- Leave with increased confidence and the skills to continue creating beyond the course
- Study in an encouraging and friendly setting alongside 10 like-minded creatives
About this course
This hands-on short course gives you the chance to learn and develop skills needed to produce beautiful sculptures. It's ideal for anyone seeking to learn and develop the essential skills in producing 3D life sculpture, working with the medium of air-drying clay.
Through a combination of theory, practical workshops, and group collaboration with a life-model in attendance for the duration of the course, you'll quickly master the art of fashioning and sculpting air-drying clay into full-sized and scaled replicas of your study.
Life sculpting combines skills in proportion, scale and 3D representation. During the course, you'll be taught a range of measuring techniques and will practise these as you sculpt. This'll include the fundamentals of human anatomy, bone and muscle structure, observation, and artistic interpretation. This'll all align together and allow you to produce realistic and proportionally correct sculpted art pieces.
The course will develop your central practical skills and provide the theory required to sculpt the human head using clay. You'll be encouraged to explore your full creative potential and will finish the course with 3D representations of the model.
- Introduction to and the use of an armature
- Introduction to facial anatomy
- Following a measuring system and transferring this to your sculpts
- The provision of a model for the duration of the course
- The essential techniques required to work with clay
- Possess the skills needed to create 3D life sculptures
- Understand the fundamentals of human anatomy, bone and muscle structure, observation, and artistic interpretation
- Understand a range of processes and techniques related to clay sculpting and have the confidence to execute them effectively
- Have hands-on experience sculpting using air-drying clay
- Have increased confidence in your own skills and feel inspired
- Have boosted creativity and imagination
- Be encouraged to experiment and explore your ideas, remembering that there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- Possess the foundations to continue creating beyond this course
- Leave with a range of beautiful pieces designed and created by you
All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course certificate of attendance.
After this course, you could:
- Continue to harness your creativity and develop your modelling skills further; explore our full range of 3D Design and Modelmaking short courses
- Broaden your creative horizons and try your hand at a range of disciplines; explore our full range of evening and weekend courses
- Continue to develop your skills at home as a hobby
- You'll study at a leading specialist university – we know what we're doing when it comes to providing unparalleled courses
- Our tutors are industry professionals, so you'll learn from the best
- We cater for all abilities and have no formal entry requirements for this course, so there's nothing holding you back
- You'll learn in a safe and encouraging environment where there's no right or wrong way to be creative
- You'll learn 'by doing' and always feel fully included and supported
- Benefit from our incredible campus and its industry-standard studios, and use state-of-the-art equipment and software to unleash your creativity
Life sculpture gallery
On this course, you'll develop a range of new design skills and practical techniques to enable you to create life sculptures using air-drying clay confidently and effectively. You'll master the fundamentals of human anatomy, bone and muscle structure, observation, and artistic interpretation to create realistic sculptures. All projects will unleash your creativity and allow your voice to shine through.
Important information about evening and weekend courses
Short Courses FAQs - Evening and Weekend and Saturday Art School
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.
Short Courses Booking Terms and Conditions
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking onto our Evening and Weekend courses.
Information about resourcing specialist materials/consumables that you may need to bring these with you