You are using an outdated browser. Most of this website should still work, but after upgrading your browser it will look and perform better.
- Evening and weekend courses
- 3D Design and Modelmaking
- Fantasy Creature Sculpture
Fantasy Creature Sculpture
Closely linked to, or as a follow-on course from, 3D Modelmaking – Concept to Construction, join this unique and fascinating 12-week hands-on course that focusses on the creation of fantasy creatures.
Please note, new dates for this course will be confirmed in April. If you'd like to be the first to know when this course is available to book, simply click the 'Register Your Interest' button and provide your details.
This course offers you the opportunity to discover many aspects of creature design and maquette fabrication, exploring the exciting and immersive routes this subject can offer that will help to introduce and improve skills a sculptor and maker.
Your tutor will use their experience, technical skills, and industry knowledge to guide you through a series of intensive evening classes introducing the complete process from concept to realisation.
You’ll receive demonstrations in armature making, massing out your sculpture, posing your creature, painting, and many other techniques. Alongside these demonstrations you'll begin to develop your own designs, with full support from your tutor and on the spot guidance in all areas of the process to allow you to create and complete a body of work.
The course will be interspersed with thought-provoking talks on the history of creature design and the use of our world as inspiration, which will help you to develop and gain a valuable understanding, appreciation and industry insight.
This course is ideal for anyone wishing to enter this specialist field of modelmaking in the industry or those who have academic aspirations to apply to study BA (Hons) Modelmaking.
- Creature design elements – conceptualisation
- Armature making
- Finishing touches and fabrication
This course is delivered by James Taberner, a freelance artist and model maker.
Find out more by clicking the profile below.
- To provide a comprehensive understanding of this specialist field
- To provide an in-depth understanding of the specialist materials and processes involved in the creation of creature concept and development
- To develop your thought making process and creative potential
- To provide the necessary specialist skills and techniques to work independently
- To allow you to build pieces for portfolio inclusion
- Your tutor will set mid-week assignments for research and to complete your designs in preparation for practical class exercises
- Upon the completion of this unique course you'll have a primary understanding of creature design and basic sculpting practises to help you create your own masterpieces in the future
- All students with 100% course attendance will be issued with an official AUB Short Course certificate of attendance. To request your certificate get in touch with the course team at firstname.lastname@example.org
There are no academic entry requirements, however a keen interest in fantasy creature, special effects and modelmaking is beneficial. Suitable for budding fantasy creators aged 18+.
Equipment and the majority of consumables will be provided however you'll need to bring:
- Sculpting tools (such as dental tools)
- A camera to record the process of your work in stages
Please note, your tutor shall discuss the equipment with you in your first session and provide further guidance.
All additional course materials are included in the course fee.
Important information about evening and weekend courses
How to Enrol
Looking to book onto one of our Evening and Saturday courses? You’ll find everything you need to book your place here.
If you have any questions about our Evening and Saturday Short Courses, you may find the answers in here.
Short Courses Booking Terms and Conditions
Please read our Terms and Conditions before booking onto our Evening and Weekend courses.
Information about resourcing specialist materials/consumables that you may need to bring these with you