On successful completion of this course students will have acquired accomplished discipline specific and transferable skills needed in order to enter a highly competitive and sometimes unpredictable make-up industry which requires graduates with a robust work ethic.
Graduate career pathways from BA (Hons) Make-up for Media and Performance will include creative design related pathways such as: make-up and hair trainee, assistant, artist, supervisor, chief or designer for television, film or the music industries; wig assistant, wig master/mistress or wig supervisor for commercial or repertory theatre; freelance make-up artist or designer for fashion editorial work, live fashion performance and commercial make-up promotion; prosthetics make-up assistant, artist or designer within a special effects team or prosthetic company.
Career opportunities will focus on working closely with directors, designers and other creative departments in film, television, live performance and fashion which could include CGI technicians, photographers, model makers, sculptors, animatronics designers, visual effects artists and fashion stylists.
As graduating make up artists from the Arts University your professional options are wide and varied. With this in mind the course has been designed to prepare you for a professional career in a diverse range of specialist roles thus giving you the necessary skills to take full advantage of an inspiring and exciting career.
Below are some examples of career options as an assistant, artist, designer and/or supervisor:
- Music video
- Stage & live performance
- Fashion Editorial
- Photographic & Promotional
- Prosthetics & Special Effects
- Casualty simulation
- Specialist Wig making
Opportunities that our recent graduates have undertaken include:
- Wig Technician at Pete Own Wigs, Bristol
- Wigs and make-up assistant for the Royal Shakespeare Company
- Make-up artist for RSI (Swiss Italian TV)
- Make-up assistant on Music, War and Love (film)
- Internship AUB Make-up for Media and Performance
- Technician Demonstrator for AUB Make-up for Media and Performance
- MAC Cosmetics
- Wig maker/dresser at Banbury Postiche
- Three mould making technicians for the Harry Potter tour
- Ministry of Masks, London
- Eight graduates have also been employed by AUB on the summer wig making project entitled Fifty Shades of Grey
- Kristyan Mallett, All You Need Is Kill, Prosthetic make up department
- Shepperton film studios, Thor 2 Prosthetic make up department
- Shepperton film studios, John Carter of Mars
- Millennium FX prosthetics studio, London
- Pinewood film studios. Les Miserable
- Palace Theatre, London. Singing in the rain
- Dominion Theatre, London. We will rock you
- Sky News, The Jeff Randall Show
- BBC, Children in Need
- BBC, Doctor Who
- Channel 4, Gok’s Clothes Road Show
- Peter Owen, Wig makers
- Banbury postiche
- Vogue Magazine
Our Careers and Employability service provides a wealth of support, advice and guidance to help your career take off in the right direction. Find out how they can help you find a career you’ll love here.