Each year, our students engage with many competition briefs and achieve impressive results. Here are some of our successes from 2017.
Creative Conscience Awards 2017
Creative Conscience’s aim is to inspire designers to apply their talents to socially valuable projects, promoting sustainability, freedom, social health and well-being.
Award wins included:
- Andrea Rizotto, Gold, Product & Structural Design – view her winning entry here
- Eilidh Smith, Gold, Product & Structural Design – view her winning entry here
- Jacob Sutton, Silver, Tech – view his winning entry here
- Izzi Hays, Silver, Architecture, Engineering & Interior Design – view her winning entry here
- Abigail Smith, Silver, Film & Photography – view her winning entry here
- Max Lom-Bor and Henry Kirkby (alumni), Silver, Tech – view their winning entry here
- Sebastinella Dunne (alumni), Bronze, Fashion & Textiles – view her winning entry here
- Amber Ruske, Highly Commended, Tech – view her winning entry here
D&AD New Blood Awards 2017 (all individual submissions)
New Blood is a series of world-class programmes for new creatives, that aims to reach young creatives from as far and wide as possible to offer inspiration, learning and genuine breaks on the way into industry.
BA (Hons) Graphic Design students won an amazing eight pencils across a wide range of briefs:
- Yellow pencil – Perry Rowe and Steven O’Neil for Net for Crowne Plaza (Steven also received a special ‘One to watch’ accolade)
- Graphite Pencil – Sarah Wickings for ‘Let’s Say What You Mean’, an awareness-raising campaign for The National Autistic Society
- Graphite Pencil – Luke Brown for ‘Re:nt by John Lewis’, a strategic online campaign for John Lewis
- Wood Pencil – Saul Kaplin Wood for ‘Searchlight’, a promotional video for a MUBI advertising campaign
- Wood Pencil – Lauren Platts for ‘BBC Connect‘, an app to promote and capture the Edinburgh Festivals
- Wood Pencil – Ben Borst for ‘BBC Edinburgh Bump‘, an innovative live streaming app
- Wood Pencil – Sam Hinkley for ‘You Can’t Please Everyone‘ for Adobe
- Wood Pencil – Tammy Johal and Kieran James (Alumni), ‘Immigration Town‘ for Monotype
Steve O’Neil, Perry Rowe, Sarah Wickings, Luke Brown and Saul Kaplin were all awarded places on the D&AD Academy, for two weeks of intense idea-generation, collaboration and networking.
International society of typographic designers (ISTD) 2017
The following students received ISTD Accreditation Passes:
- Katy Barnett
- Harry Kitchin
- Stefan Man
- Tristan Dummer
- Alice Pomfret
- Perry Rowe
- Sarah Wickings
Shine Awards 2017
This annual competition is run by branding and packaging company, Coley Porter Bell. This year the project brief was to prepare a concept for RAF ‘ACTIVITY’, a range of events run across the UK during Summer festivals and shows.
- Ben Gale (first prize)
- Lewis Son (runner-up)
joyo bank packaging competition 2017
The brief, set to UK Universities, was to package a new powder format Japanese Tea developed by Makinohara.