If you’re a resident in England and studying for an undergraduate degree for the first time, Government loans are available from Student Finance England to cover your tuition fees and help towards your living costs.

You don’t pay anything back until you’ve left university and your income is over £25,725 per year.

Tuition fee loan

Universities and colleges can charge up to £9,250 a year for their courses and a Tuition Fee Loan helps you to pay for this.

New full-time students can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan of up to £9,250 to cover the cost of tuition fees. The amount you can get doesn’t depend on your household income.

Maintenance loan

Maintenance loans are available for each year of study to help with living costs such as food, accommodation and travel. These are normally only applicable to UK students.

The amount you can borrow depends on where you live and study, and your household income.

For more information and to find out what support you could get, please use the Student Finance Calculator on gov.uk.

Additional support and funding

If your household income is below £25,000, you may be entitled to additional support and funding.

Loan Repayments

If you take out maintenance loans and tuition fee loans whilst at university you will be expected to start repaying this cost once you have left university and have started earning £25,725 per year. You can find out more about loan repayments on gov.uk.

If you’re employed, repayments will be deducted from your income just like tax and national insurance contributions.

You’ll repay 9% of your income over £25,725 a year. So, if you earn £27,000 a year this means you’ll repay 9% of £1,275.

If you’re self-employed, separate arrangements are in place with HMRC to make your repayments.

If you stop working or your income drops below £25,725 your repayments will stop and only start again when your income is over £25,725 a year. After 30 years (from the April after graduation), any outstanding balance will be written off, unless you have defaulted on your loan.

Remember: You do not have to repay university or government bursaries.

This handy breakdown explains the student loan repayment process and gives you a clearer idea of how much you are likely to be paying back.

You can also take a look at:

Not from England or already studied for an undergraduate degree?

The information on this page is only for students from England, entering AUB as an undergraduate student for their first degree, in 2019. We are unable to confirm arrangements if you’ve already studied at university at an undergraduate level.

Due to the varying support available, it is important you visit the correct page for where you live (see pages for Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales, EU and International students).

Managing your money

Living costs vary and cover things like accommodation, food and travel costs. What you will receive will depend on your personal circumstances, but further information to help you with this can be found at Managing your Money.