We welcome applications from students from all backgrounds and ages from around the world and we accept a wide range of qualifications.
If you have any queries about entry requirements or if you are unable to find your qualifications below, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will be happy to help.
When we assess your application, we look at a number of criteria including your qualifications and personal statement. Most applicants will be invited to attend an interview or requested to submit a portfolio.
You can use this UCAS tariff calculator to work out how many points you have.
Academic qualifications and UCAS tariff points are important, but if your grades fall outside of what’s set out below, you will still be considered so you should submit a UCAS application. Each application is considered on its own merit and we will take your practical skills or relevant experience into consideration.
BA (Hons) degrees
We recommend that applicants have 5 GCSE passes at grade C or grade 4 or above, which should include English and Maths.
Plus a relevant creative Level 3 qualification – we accept a wide range of qualifications including:
- GCE A Levels
- Foundation Diploma in Art and Design
- International Baccalaureate
- BTEC/ UAL/ OCR Awards, Certificates, and Diplomas at level 3
- BTEC Nationals at level 3
- BTEC/ UAL/ OCR Extended Diploma
- Other EU/International qualifications which are equivalent at level 3
- Other relevant and equivalent UK and international qualifications are considered on an individual basis.
Standard offers for degree courses include:
- BBB at A Level (120 UCAS Tariff points)
- 3 BTEC Subsidiary Diploma passes at grade Merit
- Or a combination of BTEC Subsidiary Diploma and A levels (equivalent to 112- 120 UCAS tariff points)
- International Baccalaureate (IB) score of 30-32 or above
- Foundation Diploma Pass
- UAL Extended Diploma at Merit
- BTEC / OCR Extended Diploma at Distinction, Merit, Merit
- BTEC Level 3 Diploma at Distinction* Distinction *
- UAL Diploma should be combined with other level 3 qualifications equivalent to 112-120 UCAS Tariff points
- Scottish Highers- 5 passes at grade C or above
- Pass Irish FETAC in 3 subjects with Distinction and 2 with Merit.
- Irish Leaving Certificate (Irish Highers) : H2, H3, H3, H3, H3 or equivalent to equal around 120 UCAS tariff to include a relevant subject
We are happy to accept applicants with a combination of level 3 qualifications. Please check your qualifications using UCAS Tariff calculator and remember we are looking for the equivalent of 3 A levels if you are combining Level 3 qualifications and between 112 and 120 UCAS tariff points.
We welcome applicants who are currently studying or who have gained a Foundation Diploma in Art and Design and this qualification meets our level three entry requirements. This is a recommended qualification for many of our courses but it is not a compulsory qualification.
BA (Hons) Architecture:
- ABB at A Level or the equivalent to 128 UCAS tariff points
European and International Students
Arts University Bournemouth accepts students from all areas of the world. AUB has excellent links with language schools for students who do not have the necessary standard of English.
EU and international qualifications
International Baccalaureate Diploma score of 30 or above. We will also consider applications from students who have chosen not to enrol in the full IB Diploma Programme and have, instead, chosen to complete independent subject courses/certificates. Students who have chosen not to enrol in the IB Diploma Programme would be expected to achieve 3 Higher Level subjects at grade 5 or equivalent.
We also accept the European Baccalaureate with a minimum score of 75%.
Austria – Successful completion of the Reifeprüfungzeugnis or Matura requirement with an overall average grade of 2
Belgium – Successful completion of the Diploma van Secundair Onderweijs, with an overall result of 6.5/10 or 13/20
Bulgaria – Pass Diploma za Sredno Obrazovanie with an overall average mark of at least 5.0
China – Successful completion of the Chinese Senior Secondary School Certificate with a minimum overall pass mark of 70% OR Pass CAFA International Foundation Year with a minimum of 70%
Cyprus – Achieve a minimum overall grade of 17 in the Apolytirio Genikou Lykeiou or 80% in the Greek Cypriot Apolyterion.
Czech Republic – A score of 2.9 or higher in the Maturita
Denmark – Successful completion of the Studentereksamen with an overall result of 8/12
Estonia – Successful completion of Gümnaasiumi Lõputunnistus with an overall average result of 4.0 or above in all subjects, and Riigieksamid (National Exams) with average result of 70% in tests taken.
Finland – Successful completion of the Ylioppilastutkinto / Studentexamen with a result of 4/6 (Cum Laude).
France – A good pass (grade 12 or above) in the Baccalaureate. Baccalaureate à Option Internationale / Baccalaureate de l’Enseignement du Second Degré
Germany –Achieve a minimum overall grade of 2.7 in the Abitur Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulreife / Zeugnis der Reife / Reifezeugnis. A minimum grade of 10 (Gut) on the English component of the Abitur meets our English language requirements.
Greece – Achieve a minimum overall grade of 17 in the Apolytirio Genikou Lykeiou or 80% in the Greek Cypriot Apolyterion.
Hong Kong – Applicants should present 120 UCAS Tariff points from 3 subjects on the HKDSE (Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education) in core or elective subjects, excluding liberal and general studies. This would normally be grades of 5, 5, and 4.
Hungary – A grade of 4.0 in the Erettsegi
Iceland – Successful completion of Iceland Studentsprof with 7 in English when taken as a compulsory language.
India – 65% on 12th standard from the following accepted exam boards: CBSE, CISCE, Maharashtra, Delhi, Tamil Nadu & West Bengal. At least 70% 12th Standard English Language from an accepted exam board
India (Architecture) – 70% on 12th standard from the following accepted exam boards: CBSE, CISCE, Maharashtra, Delhi, Tamil Nadu & West Bengal.. At least 70% 12th Standard English Language from an accepted exam board
Ireland- Pass FETAC: 3 subjects with Distinction and 2 with Merit. Or Pass Irish Leaving Certificate (Irish Highers) : H2, H3, H3, H3, H3 or equivalent
Italy – A minimum of 70 points in Diploma di Esame di Stato (formerly Diploma di Maturita)
Japan – Successful completion of the Japanese Upper Secondary School Leaving Certificate with a minimum overall pass mark of 3 OR successful completion of JCFL Study Overseas Art and Design college program.
Latvia – Good grades (7 – 8) in the Atestats par visparejo videjo izglitibu, plus a grade 8 for English
Lithuania – Brandos Atestatas overall grade 6 plus 50% overall grade at state examinations
Malaysia – Successful completion of Sijil Tinggi Persekolahan Malaysia (Malaysia Higher School Certificate) with grades BBB
Netherlands – Successful completion of the VWO Diploma with an overall results of 7/10
Norway – Vitnemal: den Videeregaende Skole Examen Artium (with 4 in key subjects including English)
Poland – Successful completion of the Matura with an overall result of 60%
Portugal – Diploma de Ensino Secundário / Certificado de fim de Estudios Secundários with an average score of 16.0 in all subjects
Romania – Pass Romania- Diploma de Bacalaureat with grade 7 or above.
Slovakia – lovakia-Vysvedcenie o Maturitnej Skuske with a minimum of grade 2.0 (chvalitebny) in all subjects with the majority at grade 1.0 (vyborny)
South Africa – Successful completion of the South African National Senior Certificate with grades ABBBB/76666
South Korea – Successful completion of the South Korean High School Diploma with grades above mi (70-79)
Spain – Pass Titulo de Bachillerato with an average mark of 7.0 or higher
Sweden – minimum grade of 14 in the Avgångsbetyg / Slutbetyg från Gymnasieskola, plus VG/MVG in the ‘B’ course in English
Switzerland – Pass Cantonal Maturity Certificate or a Federal Maturity Certificate, or a professional Maturity Certificate at grade 4.
Taiwan – Successful completion of the Taiwanese Senior High School Leaving Certificate with a minimum overall pass mark of 70%
Turkey – Successful completion of the devlet Teknik LISE Diplomasi or Devlet Meslek LISE with grades of 4.0 or above. (70% or above)
USA – Prospective applicants are urged to follow a college preparatory program in high school, taking a senior course in fine or applied art where possible.
We will accept one of the following:
• Successful completion of an accredited honours or college preparatory high school diploma with a GPA of 3.0 or higher
• Successful completion of an accredited high school diploma with a GPA of 3.0 or above plus one of the following:
– 3 AP exam results with a grade of 3 or higher
– SAT I (Reasoning) scores of at least 1100
– SAT II subject tests in at least 2 subjects with minimum scores of 600
– ACT test results in at least 2 subjects with minimum scores of 24
• Successful completion of an accredited Associate’s Degree
• Successful completion of first year (freshman year) of university at an accredited university
• Successful completion of a recognised Foundation Diploma in Art and Design Studies
Vietnam – Successful completion of and evidence of Tot Nghiep Pho Thong trung Hoc (Upper secondary School Graduation Certificate)
Applicants from EU countries should contact Admissions on +44 1202 363225 or email email@example.com
Applicants outside the EU should contact our International Office on +44 1202 363233 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your interests and needs. You may also refer to the International section of the website. If you are an international applicant and you are not sure if your current English qualification is suitable you may be interested in undertaking a Pre-sessional English Language course.
The following are acceptable equivalent English language qualifications for UK and EU applicants
- GCSE English grade C/ grade 4 or above
- GCE O-Level English grade C
- Key Skills Level 2 – Communication
- Functional Skills Level 2- English
- SQA Standard Grade Credit English
- SQA Higher Grade English grade D
- Intermediate 2 Certificate English grade A-C
- National 5 Certificate English grade A-C
- Irish Leaving Certificate Ordinary Level English grade C2/ O4
- Irish Leaving Certificate Higher Level English grade D3/ H6
- IGCSE First or Second Language English grade C/ 4
For overseas applicants we will accept a range of English Language qualifications including the following qualifications for HE courses:
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE) grade C, overall score of 180
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) grade C, overall score of 200
- IELTS score of 6.0 or above with 5.5 in each component.
- International Baccalaureate English Language B or English Language and Literature A at Higher Level grade 4 or Standard Level grade 5.
- Pearson PTE with an overall score of 54 with a minimum of 51 in each component.
- A minimum grade of 10 (Gut) on the English Component of the German Abitur.
- India – 12th standard from a recognized exam board with an English grade of 75%
- Austria – Reifeprüfung / Matura with a grade of 2/gut in English
- Denmark – Bevis for Studentereksamen (STX) with a grade of 7 in English
- France – Baccalaureate OIB the British or American stream with a grade of 12 in English
- Netherlands – Voorbereidend Wetenschappelijk Onderwijs (VWO) English with a grade of 8 in English
- Sweden VG/MVG in the ‘B’ course in English on the Avgångsbetyg / Slutbetyg från Gymnasieskola
- Norway Grade 4 or above n English in Vitnemal for Videregaende Skole Examen
We may also accept TOEFL iBT scores of 80 or above for entry to degree courses; however we would prefer one of the above qualifications. TOEFL is a test of American English and is not classified as a Secure English Language Test (SELT) for Tier 4 Visa applicants.
IELTS, Pearson and TOEFL scores must be less than two years old at the start of the course to be valid.
Entry from other Higher Education Courses
You may be admitted to the first year of a degree course, if you hold an ordinary or Higher National Certificate or Diploma with passes of a specialised level and endorsements where necessary. Holders of certain other qualifications, such as awards from the Scottish Qualification Authority (SQA), will also be considered. Please apply via UCAS.
We welcome applications to the 2nd or 3rd year of degree courses, application is via UCAS and we are able to accept applications after the UCAS deadline of the 15th January. However this is subject to vacancies on courses and cannot be guaranteed. If you wish to apply for entry to 2nd or 3rd year of a course please apply via UCAS include full details of your current course. if you have any questions please email email@example.com
(please note BA (Hons) Acting only permits entry to year one)
Entry as a Mature Student
Arts University Bournemouth welcomes applications from mature candidates (students over 21 years, as defined by UCAS). Please apply via UCAS.
If you are over 21 years old and do not hold the full minimum entrance requirements, your UCAS application will still be considered by AUB. AUB has discretion to assess formal qualifications gained prior to your application, and can take account of any relevant experience you may have so you may be able to apply. A wide range of credentials, including work experience and training, may be accepted as evidence of your capacity to benefit from a degree course and to complete it successfully. We are very interested in applicants who have relevant work experience in the creative industries. Please ensure that you give details in your UCAS application.
You can always contact the Admissions Team on +44 1202 363225 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the acceptability of your current qualifications, including relevant experience, and to seek early advice on how to meet additional requirements for a particular course.
If you apply and are selected you may be required to attend an interview or submit a portfolio before a decision is made on your application.
Please note you may be directed to the Foundation Diploma at AUB or advised to consider an Access to HE course. (we do not offer Access courses at AUB)
There are a number of Access to HE courses available throughout the UK. These are designed to prepare mature students who lack traditional qualifications for entry into higher education. Access courses are run at further education colleges and adult education centres, have no entry requirements and can be full or part-time. They are usually a one year course. You should contact your local further education college or adult education centre and enquire about kite-marked access courses. Only QAA ‘kitemarked’ courses are accepted by Arts University Bournemouth.
See also www.accesstohe.ac.uk
All courses at Arts University Bournemouth will consider applications for deferred entry. If you wish to apply for deferred entry, you should supply details of your proposed gap year in your personal statement. The UCAS deadlines for applications remain the same. If you wish to defer entry after an offer has been made please contact email@example.com